• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my truck wont start! please help asap

srbolger81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i left my house to run an errand, and my 04 ranger started with no problem. i backed out of my garage, put it in first gear gave a little gas and let off clutch. as soon as the transmission started to catch it stalled. it took about 5 minutes to get it to start again by holding the key in the start position and wiggling the shit out of it while periodically pushing in the clutch and letting it out. it started and i ran to the store and back (didnt dare turn off the truck at the store) got in my garage, turned it off and then tried starting it again... nothing. now it is making a clicking noise coming from the interior fuse box and the interior light is flashing on and off with every clicking noise and the securilock light on the instrament cluster is flashing faster then normal. does my truck think its stolen? or is could it be something else? i disconnected the ground from the battery about an hour ago. is there anything else i can try?

srbolger81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
also it is a 4 cylinder 2.3l base model. no power windows/locks, no fob, regular looking keys

srbolger81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
just reconnected the battery. it continues to click and interior light blinking. figured out that if i tap on the brakes clicking and blinking light stops, but starts again when i try to start. have to turn key to off position and tap brakes to make it stop again. installed aftermarket radio 2 days ago. could it be some kind of short?

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
honestly, that sounds just like what happened to mine a while back. The battery just... died. nothing to it, it just... died. as in 1200, it starts just fine to come home from church, at 1500, it won't start to come home from the store.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a Mustang do that to me once. I cleaned every battery cable connection and all was good after.

littleblue94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Your battery might be shot I was coming home from work one day radio shot off check engine like came on I started it got it home checked the cells on the battery and my entire battery was soaked from battery acid so hope this helped alittle bit

Derrick

chrmaka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had that happen to my 06, starter went premature (only 36,000 miles on the truck) and caused the battery to short itself out. Get it home and check to make sure your starter spins on the bench, and check the battery for excessive heat and swelling. Also check your terminals as you may need to cut them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals