• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My truck got broken into

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
So after 10 years someone broke into my truck yesterday, they punched open the outside lock with a screwdriver, then proceeded to try and mess with the ignition to steal the truck. Luckily the failed on stealing it however they took some random items...Nothing of value. For about 150 bucks I got the ignition and lock replaced, however there is still body damage and due to my current situation I cant afford to fix it. So I'm just gonna live with it.
FA0_sfwXMAAsc13.jpg

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
That is why I don't have locks or keys

Bummer about your ride...you do keep it up nice. At least you still have it. Definitely do a secondary disable

But . . . Most thieves won't go near my filthy garbage.....

They will get dirty.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For the door, pull out the lock cylinder and door panel, get two short pieces of 2x4 with 3/8" holes drilled through both and a piece of 3/8" allthread and two nuts and two washers. Get one of the 2x4's on the inside then put a nut and washer on that side then tighten the outside nut. That "might" get the dent out without making things worse...

Sorry to hear that, someone did that to my '90 back in the day to the door but not near that bad, I've just lived with it being pushed in a little...

Things are getting bad, a coworker left his '01 Dodge in the work parking lot with a for sale sign, over the weekend someone stole the catalyst, when he called it in apparently he was the 10th to report similar for that weekend...

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thats an easy fix you can do yourself. Do what scott said but rtv the washers (let the rtv dry on the washers) that will be touching the body to prevent more damage. Mask off about a half inch around the cylinder and touch it up with light color high build primer primer, duplicolor perfect match, and 2k clear. No paint gun needed. Also when you mask it fold the sticky side over towards the lock cylinder hole so it leaves a soft line. Itll be easier to wet sand and buff to get it to blend in.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
anyone recommend a tutorial for installing a kill switch in my truck. as cars become more and more modern, my truck is singled out more and more everyday as one of the few remaining easily stealable trucks.

i also often wonder about my cat, is may be dirty/clogged/contaminated, but the access underneath just makes it too easy.
whats a cheap diy cat cage? just weld two bars overit, and hope the their is too dumb to realize he would also have to cut through that with angle grinder

funny story. i have a video of a tweaker going through my truck for three hours. he scoped out my truck with window cracked and tried to get arms in. then came back with a stick. left and came back with another stick and got the door open. then he goes through my truck for a while. then he finds a lock box in there and spends 45 minutes on camera trying to rip it out (nothing of value in there). in the many hours in my truck he only took like half my tools, wtf. okay, and omg he looked like tyrone biggums from the chappelle show. he had crackehead style beany sticking up, a sportcoat over a hoodie and sagging slacks. clearly a crackhead not a tweaker. a tweaker would have stolen every tool, ratchet strap, everything.
AND THEN
i find some of my bags around the corner the next moring on top of a huge pile of bags, backpacks and luggage fillling the entire bed of a fullsize chevy, WTF

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You just need to interrupt an important wire somewhere, being a manual trans 4 cylinder you probably don't have PATS but I would check before disabling stuff... you could go simple and put an intermittent button on the starter or clutch switch wire so you have to turn the key and push a button to get the starter to work, or put a random toggle switch somewhere hidden on the key on power wire out of the ignition switch...

Rusty, I was saying to use 2x4 wood blocks against the sheet metal then washers against the wood, but there's a bunch of ways to keep from scratching the paint too bad, the simplest is just cover the paint in a few layers of masking tape (or duct tape, whatever you've got handy as long as it doesn't stay on for months). I doubt there'd be too much paint chipping with how it looks, but it's hard to tell what's under the lock cylinder...

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You just need to interrupt an important wire somewhere, being a manual trans 4 cylinder you probably don't have PATS but I would check before disabling stuff... you could go simple and put an intermittent button on the starter or clutch switch wire so you have to turn the key and push a button to get the starter to work, or put a random toggle switch somewhere hidden on the key on power wire out of the ignition switch...

Rusty, I was saying to use 2x4 wood blocks against the sheet metal then washers against the wood, but there's a bunch of ways to keep from scratching the paint too bad, the simplest is just cover the paint in a few layers of masking tape (or duct tape, whatever you've got handy as long as it doesn't stay on for months). I doubt there'd be too much paint chipping with how it looks, but it's hard to tell what's under the lock cylinder...
Makes sense now, i was a little confused lol.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that happens, my fingers are faster than my brain at times :), that and I have a tendency to blab, the ADD doesn't help... Squirrel!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals