• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my suzuki sammy project

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
this is a build thread for my 1986 suzuki samurai jx , currently its pretty much stock , just waiting for winter to end so i can start working on it again , plans involve a 3'' calmini all spring lift kit , some either 30 or 31'' mud tires , some off road bumpers , a cb radio , and some off road lights and a homemade onboard air system , there is some rust , but over all not much for the year , however i will need to replace both front floor pans and do a small patch on the right side fire wall , and install the good used front clip i have , orginaly the vehicle was brought up from virgina by the last owner in 2004 , i bought it the summer of 2008 , paid $450 for it with no top , and have done a little work here and there to it , but not really much , as of current it has a bit over 130,000 miles , for some reason i can't seem to get pictures to upload to this thread so heres a link to photos of it on another site http://www.mytractorforum.com/album.php?albumid=1575 , thanks for reading and i'd love to hear any opinions

boondockboost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a nice little trail rig. there easy to build and fun to beat lol heres a pic of mine that i built. any questions just ask im sure i can help you in the suzuki end lol

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
thanks boondockboost , thats a really nice samurai you got there , what size lift and tires are you running in that photo ?

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i love these trucks between my dad and i think we've had twleve.
the first one i still have even though 95% of the sammi fell off. it used to be a 88 LWB sammi.

and my 82 tin top sj 410 that i havnt started on yet

boondockboost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks i did the spoa kit from lowrangeoffroad.com and the tires are 33 9.50 15 swampers. it drove great with that setup

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
thoses are really nice suzukis you have , whats your plans for the sj 410 ?

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
thanks i did the spoa kit from lowrangeoffroad.com and the tires are 33 9.50 15 swampers. it drove great with that setup
thanks for the info , i'm thinking about doing a spoa aswell , i'm thinking i will get more for my moneys worth then i would with just a lift kit , plus 90% of the time it will be either on dirt roads or wheeling , did you have to regear the axles or transfer case after the 33s ? , thanks

boondockboost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea the spoa is deff easyer and its cheap. but nah i didnt gear the axles or t case but i deff suggest it cause it was like driving a turtle lol it was so slow

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
we ran 4.56s on that white truck when it was on 33s but we also have a 22re 2.4 litre in it.. you probally want 5.13s or a 6.5 tcase.

the sj is going to sammi axles 4.56 gears and a rear spool (the ones from the white truck now that its on a 8" rear and 9.5" fj62 front) with a spoa. then its getting a 1.6 16 valve motor, paint and some 33" duratracs. itll replace my f350 for commuting

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals