• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My rodent arsenal!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Rodents drive me bonkers, mice stink and are annoying but within the last couple years rats seem to have moved into my back shed building nests on top of my firewood. Mice inside with traps are annoying, they never get on one trap, always just trip it and eat the bait and get away, so one day I made an array of traps around a stick of butter on the counter they'd attacked a couple days prior and caught the thing in I think 3 traps and lights went off... so I made a mouse trap board like attached. Once the rats came into play I did similar with rat traps as seen by the picture with a rat and mouse... same size board on both I think 16 mouse traps to 7 rat traps...

Just thought I'd share my idea as it sure makes things easier, they can't drag the traps around and with the allthread handle you don't even have to bend over to deal with them!

I have a cat, but he's alone and can only do so much, he's a ruthless hunter but is very opportunistic... the tiny bunnies are no match, any mice he sees or hears he catches, I think I saw him with a gopher yesterday. From what I hear rats are crafty and sneaky so traps it is for now... Next year I'll put up a predator pole or two to help out the resident redtail hawks and barn owls...

Oh, and while I'm here, the Tomcat wood traps are where it's at, I'd pay double for them over Victor, the schelac on the wood, coating on the metal parts, better bend on the end of the spring and nicer trip geometry makes them worth it. On the rat trap versions I made the plastic on the Victor has taken a beating where the cheap Bigfoot brand from Amazon seem to be troopers...

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like the cheap dollar store plastic ones that set themselves with a push of the button. I've found no need for bait, just set them up facing a wall. I set up 3 or 4 in a row. But I like your idea, I'll have to make one of those up and try it.
And lucky me, Alberta doesnt have rats. We have a rat patrol that eliminates any getting into the province.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good job! If that contraption don't get 'em, you might try Claymores rigged with trip wires.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What a hobby.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
You'd think after the first one bought the farm, the rest would be a little more cautious.... "hey, more food for us.... SNAP!" :p

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Damn dude! I can't seem to get one mouse trap set without snapping it on my fingers, let alone a mine field of them.

I consider myself very fortunate to not have rodent problems. My buddy has them real bad out at his place in the country. They were so bad one year that they would run across the shop floor while we were working - needless to say a bunch of them got chased and squished with shovels. A couple times I actually was quick enough to stomp on one. Take that cats... my reflexes rock.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a lot of mice. Glue traps work great, but they are not reusable and they do not kill the mice. I go around killing mice stuck to glue traps every morning before work.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I have a lot of mice. Glue traps work great, but they are not reusable and they do not kill the mice. I go around killing mice stuck to glue traps every morning before work.
Its a slower death. The glue has poison in it that gets absorbed through the skin on their feet/paws/hands/ whatever they’re called.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Damn dude! I can't seem to get one mouse trap set without snapping it on my fingers, let alone a mine field of them.

I consider myself very fortunate to not have rodent problems. My buddy has them real bad out at his place in the country. They were so bad one year that they would run across the shop floor while we were working - needless to say a bunch of them got chased and squished with shovels. A couple times I actually was quick enough to stomp on one. Take that cats... my reflexes rock.
yeah, I got nicked by a couple of the rat traps tonight resetting after another mouse got caught...

Mice and rats are just the start, I've got around 10 pocket gophers this year and I haven't even tried! I still have around 4 of the bastages, and at least two moles... My favorite method for those guys is a lawn chair, some beers and a shotgun... simpler times, building a shop there was no time for that this year...

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
...cut
... My favorite method for those guys is a lawn chair, some beers and a shotgun... simpler times, building a shop there was no time for that this year...
Love it

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My cat likes playing with them after he catches them so he wouldn't go for that (that pic is hilarious though), sometimes he gets ballzy and brings them in the house to play with... one night he brought a finch into the bedroom at like 3am, that was fun... he lost some privileges' after that incident... There's some small rabbits around here that he has found, apparently they're tasty? He's caught a bunch of those things... which I was going to leave those alone but whatever.

So far that is the only rat I've caught this week, but I'm up to 5 mice in the rat traps... I can tell ya one thing, the mice don't suffer in those traps...

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Boy I thought had issues, I loan to my fifth wheel out and got it back with a big rat had to put a new roof on it and now I'm fixing the inside of the cabinets tore the walls out in the bathroom just destroyed it but anyway it has a rat and I ended up talking to this guy you know like the devil and Linda Blair in The exorcist I'm going to kill you I'm going to eat you I'm going to cut your guts out I'm going to eat you alive I was beginning to think I need to counseling to get counseling so before I hooked up a gas distribution method through a vacuum cleaner blowing the smoke inside I found a spray I don't know what it is I'm sorry I can't remember but it was worth a try that is a natural scent of their enemies , and although you are supposed to use this with a maintenance program I used it once and I think he's gone I use the whole can though and he's not following me around and spraying when I'm working on the outside like he seemed to have been doing he's not in the bathroom when I go to the bathroom anymore under the floor spraying where I get this God awful scent smell it's horrible been the mice moved in that's another story now they're gone they came in one night and they're out but I like the traps I like the multitrack if I was in a war with an IBM company you'd be my gunny

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals