• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My newest acquisition

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger44, I too am a Led head. I like alot of the new rock though. Check out my myspace. CTswampyankee
Cool, I'm into the newer stuff mostly(A7X, Tool, Atreyu, etc), but when it comes to a classic band...Led zep can't be beat!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah the 4.9 is a solid engine. It gets ok mileage. My friend squeezes out 20mpg from his. 5spd 2wd. Just dropped the pan and had the valve cover off replacing gaskets this past weekend and the engine still looks awesome.

It'd be kind of an awesome and very different swap into a Ranger.

CTswampyankee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302HO
Transmission
Manual
I hear ya on the swap to another truck. I also drive a 95 F1hoptie 4x4 with a 300ci an a 5gear. But ill stay with my 23mpg with my ol 2.9 (only 290k haha) vrs 14!! I also drive a MACK try axle dump truck for my job then get in my lil ranger that kinda funny. Why not be differnt an with the price of fuel put a 2.3 turbo in it? you could find all the parts an bolt it in. Just think of going thrugh the mud with the turbo singin! an get well over 20mpg! that would be sick!! My buddy turns 33in boggers on his ranger 4x4 with a stock 2.3 an loves it.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My F150 gets mileage in the 20's but, When you are used to driving a 3.0 and you go to a 4.9, WOW. It is like the difference between night and day. The 4.9 likes to run at 1500, The 3.0 WON'T run at 1500. The 3.0 likes to run at 3000, the 4.9 sounds like to is going to self destruct at 3000!
I like motors that rev. The 4.9 will just have to do for now.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It's almost like my 2.3 vs my friends 4.9

and I know what you mean about the 4.9 at 3,000rpm ,lol. Oopps

He even found it very strange that I always shifted around 3,000......oh well.

Anything new on the truck Mutant Pony?

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been really busy and haven't even got the truck home yet. I have collected a few parts though. I have decided to use the exploder rear end. I have already talked to the spring guy about arching the springs from the '87 (custom main) for a 4" lift. I have 2" lift shackles and a 2 1/2" traction lift. There will be NO block at all. I'm still debating the removal of the body lift. I HATE body lifts. It would just make the truck LOOK huge though. I will probably only run 31s though so the body lift would be too much. The 3.0s clutch is really stressed with 31's, any bigger would have me buying clutches all the time. I may try it with 33's though.
I have also been debating a set of 4.56s. Would I then be able to turn 33s without eating up clutches? My wallet doesn't like the idea though.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Man I'd really say just run the 31's with a 3-4" lift.

The 3.0 would handle 31's fine with 4.10's and you could find those in the salvage yard, unless you already have some.

A 3-4" lift would keep it at a good level in my opinoin. You'd still have good road manners with off-road capability. Not to mention gas mileage....You'd still have ok steering geometry and be able to correct it with a dropped pitman arm, without puttung to much leverage on the steering gear or frame rail.

If you were to run 33's I'd say 4.88's are a must. You'd maybe be able to get by with 4.56's though. This would seem to me, give the engine more leverage over the tires putting less strain on the clutch. Regearing just sucks on the wallet though.....Me deciding to stick with 31's and y stock 4.10's cut my build spending in half....

I know what you mean by the whimpy clutch in the 3.0. I don't know why they didn't use a 10" clutch in it like the 4.0?

I did some looking around a few weeks ago trying to see if the 4.0 clutch would work behind a 3.0. No worky. The problem comes with the clutch plate bolting to the flywheel. The only way to make it work would be using a 3.0 flywheel. The holes just don't line up. But maybe if you tapped your own.....hmmm. Or you could just go with a CF II ? I don't know? They do share the same spline and teeth count.

Get rid of that damn body lift. lol Not a big fan of them either

Last edited:

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 10" clutch won't fit inside the 3.0 bellhousing (Damn!). You could adapt to a 4.0 or 5.0 bellhousing though. Now if only I could afford it.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It'll fit in there.....it's the starter working with a 4.0 clutch and flywheel on a 3.0 bellhousing.

The 4.0 pressure plate won't fit on the 3.0 flywheel.

That's as far as I went. If you can get the 4.0 starter, clutch and flywheel to work on the 3.0 bellhousing I'll do it too!

I just figured it just wouldn't line up.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14655

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals