• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My new shortblock

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After this

I wanted something that I could rely on even at high hp levels, so I built me a new shortblock.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
good luck with that puck clutch on the street heh. The block looks gorgeous, I hope to do something like that with the one I pull out of my truck soon.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
That is a sexy beast. So what are the specs? What did you do different and why? My plans still call for a stock type build using stock turbo pistons. Using a Garret T-3 and plan on 15psi.

James

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
good luck with that puck clutch on the street heh. The block looks gorgeous, I hope to do something like that with the one I pull out of my truck soon.
Sad story: I can't use that clutch. I got the 4-puck for an 88 t-bird. It's listed as 9.25 diameter, the 83-86 disc is 9 1/16. I have a Centerforce stage II pressure plate which is listed as 9". I put that disc in and it wouldn't disengage, so I had to pull the tranny and put the CF disc back in.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That is a sexy beast. So what are the specs? What did you do different and why? My plans still call for a stock type build using stock turbo pistons. Using a Garret T-3 and plan on 15psi.

James
It's .020 over with diamond pistons and total seal conventional rings. I overbored as little as possible to keep the walls thick, and used an early turbo block since they have thicker walls.

I got crower rods which are rated at 500hp and 8200 rpm. I'll likely only have 400rwhp and 7000rpm, but I wanted a good safety margin.

ARP head studs and felpro 1035 are to keep the boost in, cause there will be a lot of it, about 30 psi.

This is the stuff I did to it in the past, but it runs on e85 and has a MAF conversion on an LA3 with 96 lb/hr injectors. It's got a big FMIC and a tubular header that I fabbed up, with a HKS blow off and e-bay TiAL wannabe WG. In the head there are oversized SS valves with hardened seats, dual springs and titanium retainers. The cam is a mild ranger re-grind I got from delta cam. Some mild porting has been done. Exhaust is 3" with a hi-flow cat and a Summit Racing glasspack.

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
What cylinder ended up cracking? I have heard that the rear cylinders on E7 and E8 turbo blocks are cast very thin (like .120") and are prone to failure if bored out. Makes me wonder if I should get the rear cylinder ultrasonic tested to determine wall thickness when I rebuild my mill.

Oh, and sweet build! Much wilder than the build I am planning for mine!

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That was the #4 cylinder, on an E8 block, and was not overbored. There was no damage to the stock turbo pistons or the 8993 head gasket.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thou shalt not covet . . . Thou shalt not covet . . . Thou shalt not covet . . .

Good for you! That is one SWEET looking little engine!

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I'm lovin this shortblock!

I turned it up and at about 22 psi it's screaming. I really need to get a new 4-puck tho, cause the old CF disc cant hold the torque.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Get a video of it!!!!!

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I'm lovin this shortblock!

I turned it up and at about 22 psi it's screaming. I really need to get a new 4-puck tho, cause the old CF disc cant hold the torque.
This just seems like a funny statement while talking about a 2.3. I have one, and too much torque for the clutch has never crossed my mind lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
turbos really wake them up... the fuel bill goes up though...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals