• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My new Samurai parts...

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I picked this up a few weeks ago...

Mainly for this....

Its the 1.6 16v. It has the MPFI so it will take a little more to put in my 87 Samurai, but give me a little more than the 1.6 8v. I have been talking to Myron at ZOR, and have a good idea of what its gonna take to do (he will go through the wire harness and make what I need to plug it all together and run correctly). I have the wire harness out, un-taped, and ready to ship out to Myron, but I have to send my gauge cluster as well (both the Samurai and Sidekick)because the Samurai will need a VSS switch put in the speedo (Myron at ZOR again).

I have the 1.6 out of the Sidekick, the PS stuff as well (Im waiting on the rest of my parts to show up) and that will go on my Samurai, as it doesn't have PS. I will do a write up on that install as well.

I wanted to use the 4spd auto out of the Sidekick, but as its computer shift control, and the longer version T-case/transmission, it would take quite a bit to put in. If I can find a GM 3spd auto out of a Tracker then I could use that one, so we will see.

Thats it right now. Like I said the 1.6 is out and on the stand, waiting on a rebuild (the same shop that put my 347 together)

As it progresses I will update the thread. Thanks for looking. BB :icon_welder:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I'll watch. My cousin has a Sami and they are pretty badass little wheelers.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I just got a sami frame and axles from a friend that was going to send it to the scrap yard. Now I just have to find a body to put on it.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ah, memories...I had the 8 valve 1.6 and it was a good engine...the 16 valve has a few more ponies from what I've read...

Too bad there were not too many sites offering help on them...I ended up cracking the head and decided to put my Ranger on the road instead of trying to fix the Zuki...the automatic transmission in them was pretty tough and the only problem I had on it was me...I accidentally disconnected a vacuum line that caused the transmission to not shift properly...but a quick scan of engine corrected that in a few seconds...

I recall there was someone on here that put the lima engine in a Zuki...haven't seen them around for a while...

Oh, and the frames on them are tough too...had a rear end and a front end collision and drove away from both with minor cosmetic damage...

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. there are a few sites out there and I have fell in with some good, knowledgeable Samurai folks. ZukiKrawlers, ZukiWorld, Zuwharry, ZOR (Zuks Off Road), are a few I go to quite a bit.

Jim are you slowly turning to the darkside. LOL Get a body for that bad boy, some YJ leaves with missing links F/R, Toyota axles, a good crawler case (I run 6.5:1 gears in my T-case) a good 1.6 and a 5spd and you'll be good to go. The best thing about these though is the gas mileage. My Ranger burns a 1/2 tank of fuel just looking at it, where my Zuk runs a week on 9 gals. (lots of to and from school/work running)

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That's no Sammi, that's a sidekick! Lol looks like a good platform tho. I"ll watch...

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Yes the engine and assorted parts are going into a Samurai...
This one to be exact...

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Jim are you slowly turning to the darkside. LOL Get a body for that bad boy, some YJ leaves with missing links F/R, Toyota axles, a good crawler case (I run 6.5:1 gears in my T-case) a good 1.6 and a 5spd and you'll be good to go. The best thing about these though is the gas mileage. My Ranger burns a 1/2 tank of fuel just looking at it, where my Zuk runs a week on 9 gals. (lots of to and from school/work running)
I've had an interest in Zuk's for a while now and saw an opportunity. I like the idea of an open rig that's not a Jeep that I could run around in during the summer, and gets good gas mileage. TRS-2 will always be my dedicated trail rig though. I love my Rangers. I see more and more trackers turned in to trail rigs, and more and more cheap ones for sale with 'timing' issues caused by the timing belt sprocket coming loose on the crank. I could probably find a 4x4 Tracker for $500.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I agree Jim. I'm still looking for a convertible Samurai as well. A believe it or not, they are a little easier (I think) to work on. If you ever get one let me knowm I'll hook you up with some great folks.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks guys. there are a few sites out there and I have fell in with some good, knowledgeable Samurai folks. ZukiKrawlers, ZukiWorld, Zuwharry, ZOR (Zuks Off Road), are a few I go to quite a bit.

Now that you mention those sites, I remember searching through them a few times looking for more information on my engine. There was plenty of good stuff on them and I spent way too much time watching vids and following a few builds. Like solid axel swaps in Samis...

Just a word on gas mileage though...misleading!

Mine was great in 2wd but I could never squeeze more than 400 km out of a 40 liter tank of gas...this was way better than my Ranger though...

The first day I got the Zuki I was rushed to get to work and didn't check things over...picked it up in the morning but had some paper work and such to do that left me no time...someone at the dealership had left the front hubs locked (it was in 2wd) and I later found that the air filter had a strange layer of grease covering it...????

It went through about 25 litres of gas in one round trip (160 Km)...after changing the air filter and unlocking the hubs it settled back to about 16 litres for the same trip...so it was costing me about $16 a day to drive to work...

I'd imagine you won't be using yours as a DD...

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I am using mine as a DD. It sounds like you had a few problems with yours though. Heat is a big no-no with these aluminum engines. Cook one one time and its pretty much done. They are prone to cracking, and warping in critical locations, and will still run, just like crap. I will have this 1.6 gone through and make sure its right. Gonna use an aluminum radiator from Genesis, and run a mechanicl temp gauge. Yes my fuel mileage has dropped with all the work I've done to mine (bigger tires, lower gears etc.), but its still the most economical rig I have.

When I wheeled it last August, I went with some guys from ZW and on one of the trips we wheeled all day (in 4x4), and still had fuel left. I'm not to crazy on the skinny pedal though. Sorry yours gave you such fits.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Overall it was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned...and it was fun to drive...plenty of windows so it had good visibility (also poor heat but that was to be expected)...easy to park...nice to have the 4x4 when needed (five times in six years)...

Good to hear you are going with a new rad...you might want to check the water pump or even replace it while you can...easy to do...mine developed a seal leak that eventually caused the overheat...that cracked the head between #1 and #2 plugs...

That happened just after I had the alternator replaced and I noticed right away that the belt was tight so I had them loosen it off (it was the middle of winter and I could not get the old alternator off so I had someone do it for me)...could have been too much for the water pump or it could have been the age...I had almost 400,000 on it when it finally died and I think I put on 270,000 of that in six years...the body was shot but the frame was still in excellent shape...it pays to undercoat and keep them oiled...

Hope yours lasts a long time...

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sidekicks/Trackers are definitely great little cars. My sister owns one and it has survived two major catastrophes (major overheat that required a head job and new gaskets all around, and a moderate accident that left the front smashed up pretty bad) and is still chugging along just nicely. Very fun car, easy to work on, VERY comfortable after some upgraded sound (heats up just perfectly), and is about as unique as it gets for something that's mostly stock. The 1.6 isn't really a powerhouse, but it definitely does the job and gets great gas mileage if you drive it well. It's by far my favorite car after the Ranger. Just make sure to check that crank pulley bolt. Like Jim mentioned, they had major issues in the earlier models coming from the factory undertorqued, which caused MAJOR crank keyway damage. Check the keyway and make sure it's in good shape, make sure the pulley gets torqued to 94 ft/lbs, and you're good to go =].

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got the Power steering installed and everything lined out. I had to relocate the driver side radiator mount but here are a few pics.
I started with this plate....

The mounting holes for the sidekick are opposite of whats in the Samurai frame. This allows for it to bolt up. It can be done by bolting to lower front of the box to the frame and then drilling and sleeveing the other two out, but I opted for this.
A plate is needed on the block to mount the PS pump to it (this plate will also work on the 1.6)

Heres the box mounted up. You have to shorten the steering shaft. I have a press so it wasn't to hard, but it can be done with a block and a BFH. There is a joint that goes on the end of the steering shaft (to allow it to mount to the box) and gets rid of the stock rag joint.

Double belt pulley

Here is where I mounted up my reservoir

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals