• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My New House & Workshop

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
What about taking the roof off the last 30-40’ raising the walls up 4ft, and adding a 30ft wide addition extending towards the house, and then putting a roof across all. Building would be “L” shaped, with 2/3 at the higher height. You’d pay for 3 walls and the roof.

If you go metal, the erector can put a steel sill plate along the alley-side wall, and span all with steel trusses. You could tear down the house side wall and have it all a clear span, maybe a couple posts in the middle.

Also, I don’t think either of the block walls where the original building ends are structural, but the one by the bathroom has plumbing in it. If you come 4-5’ off the block walls towards the front and poke a hole in the ceiling and get another rafter picture there, I could make a better guess ;-).

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I have (2) different companies that are suppose to come out this week. Both do roofing, but I believe both have also built metal buildings. I'll hopefully get my info on what my options are. Also trying to get quotes for a 24x30 metal building with (2) 10x9 doors and 10-foot walls.

It seems like if I have to pay anyone to do work on this building, I'm going to end up paying as much as I would for a new metal one.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Jim, if you end up replacing any roofing, take a hard look at metal roofing. I changed my asphalt shingle roof to metal, and I think it's well worth it.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My math is $14,700 for materials. I thought the first guy just quoted $50k because he didn't want to do it.
Jim:

If we assume the contractors can get the materials for a little less - volume/wholesale pricing, so say $12.5k for easy calculations. Then we use @alwaysFlOoReD 's quote the job @ 4x material cost formula, you would get quotes for $50k.
Therefore, the quotes are probably in the right ballpark. Not what you wanted to hear, but based on current economic conditions, what the market is charging.​
If you're able to be your own general contractor, GC, you can save the $12.5k for general contractor's pay, equipment upkeep, rent, various insurances, the government cut, and profit off the top. And maybe significant portion of the labour cost.​
The best sub contractors are on time for both start and completion time, efficient and need minimal supervision, so they are what a GC wants so he can be doing additional jobs. But they charge appropriately and are booked forever. But with a little more supervision, the "B" team can do the exact same work for a lot less.​
Part of the quote includes dealing with unexpected issues - but only small ones. e.g. Having to pay "B" team roofer as "A" team individual wasn't available so GC has to be on site daily...​

But to be a GC, you either need to have general idea what each disciplines do/cost/timelines are or have very good individuals in each discipline providing you with that information (and working well together).
It can provide a lot of satisfaction as you were the one who completed the job.​
Or it can get stressful when you find out the previous work on bathroom wasn't correctly back filled so: roof needs to be braced, portion of wall needs to come down, the foundation dug up, properly backfilled, foundation re-poured, wall rebuilt before you can proceed. And by that time, the individuals you had lined up for the roof are working for someone else...​

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Jim:

If we assume the contractors can get the materials for a little less - volume/wholesale pricing, so say $12.5k for easy calculations. Then we use @alwaysFlOoReD 's quote the job @ 4x material cost formula, you would get quotes for $50k.
Therefore, the quotes are probably in the right ballpark. Not what you wanted to hear, but based on current economic conditions, what the market is charging.​
I'm not crazy about the quote, but it helps to understand it.

Thanks.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I always keep in mind when modifying or building, that I may pull up stakes and sell and would like it to bring as much money as possible and not be on the market forever.

That's why the last garage I built, it was 20x30 with 3 garage doors on one side. But I never used it as a garage, it was a shop with the center door used for the lift. But when I sold that place and cleared all my junk out of there, it was useable as a garage for someone to park their vehicles in. More appealing for "normal" people, not someone with a lift and a bunch of welders and stuff who works on cars all the time.

I think Rick W is pushing in certain directions because of this. You don't want to make the lot look too weird and not be appealing to the masses. You never know what may happen. And you will get all your money back and then some if you have to sell.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I’m am a little pushy, just a little, sorry for that, but @franklin2 hit the nail on the head. The real trick is to get everything that you want, and still have general appeal for return on investment, and do it at the lowest price possible, or flexible for easy change later, or both.

If there are no other metal buildings in the neighborhood, I’d think twice about that and resale.

& trust my gray hairs, the one sure thing about life is it will change. Murphy is alive and well!!!

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't see much resale value in derached garages. When I sold my house in Ohio they based the price on the square footage of the house. They didn't factor in the metal shop.

When I bought this house the pricing was focused on the square foot of the house. The 1,300+ sqft building was just a storage building with little value.

My real estate agent here in Texas said her and her husband built a $17k shop on their property, but it didn't raise the value much when they sold the home.

I think if anything it makes the property more appealing to someone that wants a garage or workshop.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If there are no other metal buildings in the neighborhood, I’d think twice about that and resale.
Yep. My wife put her foot down that she did not want an ugly metal building at our previous location. But a pole barn type structure was the easiest cheapest for me to put up by myself. So I went ahead and built a pole barn type garage, but I nailed t1-11 on the purloins for the siding, and sheathed the roof and used shingles and painted it to match the house which had vertical siding on it. You could not tell the difference from a conventional structure from the outside.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The first guy that came out quoted me $24k for a 20x22 steel building and concrete.

That may have included removing the concrete pad that my Ranger is parked on.

I got a quote today from another company to build a 24x30 building with (2) 10x9 doors, 10-foot walls, a man door, (3) windows, and concrete for $21,250. I didn't tell them there was a concrete slab in the way.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You live in Texas, Mexicans would be an option...

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Another company came out today. They do metal roofs and metal buildings. The guy said if it was him, he'd use the building for storage. He said once he starts lifting the roof the walls are going to want to move inward and probably develop more cracks.

I don't mind that I have a 20x70 building on my lot, but I'm just not crazy about adding another building between it and my house.

I had him give me a quote for a 24x30 metal garage. Building with 16x10 door with opener, a 3x3 window and man door is $23,100.

I've been questioning myself on size. This building would be wide enough that I could park my F150 in there with the Ranger and not need a carport. But it's going to eat up some yard space. Wondering if I could get by with less.

I guess since the existing building only has a 7.5' ceiling height I could switch to smaller cars or a side x side. 🤔🤷‍♂️

This guy builds from steel square tubing welded up on site.

Another company says "We construct all of our buildings out of structural Wide-flange beam not an inferior square tubing structure like the competition. Make sure you only build with the "Best"!"

Anyone have any input on materials for metal buildings?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals