• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My New House & Workshop

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Note to self... when packing for Jim's garage warming party... pack the spare BUNN coffee maker.

Why do I get the feeling there will be Christmas Mood lighting strung all over the new place?

Congrats on the new purchase!

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I don't plan to install a lift. I just need enough room to be able to put my truck up on jack stands.
Congrats! It’s easy to plan for what you think you want. The trick is to add options for what you don’t foresee.

Raise the roof for jack stands, what, 3 ft +/-? So what’s the extra cost for lift clearance? Putting in 6ft extension vs. 3ft extension should be minimal extra time and cost.

What about a double truss you could put a chain fall for whatever? Extra conduit, extra air line? Exhaust fan? An outlet or two up there? All this stuff is a cheap addition while you’re doing it.

I built mine (27x45) from scratch. I made it 9’ 10” inside so I didn’t have to go to 2x6 framing. Biggest regrets are not making it just 2ft wider, putting it 2ft further away from neighbors fence (I park on the side) and not raising the roof over at least 20ft of length for a lift on one side, and an upstairs storage spot and doghouse w/TV on the other side.

Another thought, when I did mine, I had a barn-raising party with my wear-a-suit-every-day friends who barely knew what a hammer was. In advance, I had a couple buddies help frame the walls on the ground, and made the trusses from chalk-line outlines on the slab I poured myself, 1/2” plywood truss plates screwed and glued. I had two buddies who were a little capable, and one Saturday, I invited a dozen friends (accountants, nurses, etc.). I got JR’s barbecue catering, and a 1/2 keg for the after party.

The walls, trusses, roof plywood went up in 4 hours. 75% of the vinyl siding went on and about 1/2 of the roof shingles. Everything is crooked by an inch or more, nothing you can see. In one spot a guy used 11 nails bent in every direction to hold a truss down, but nails are cheap and now I have better reception.

So, it cost me the materials only. If you ask any of those friends to this day, it was the best party day they had in their lives, they had a blast, and actually built something real they could see and put their hands on, show off. After 20 years it was still chatter at the Christmas party. Building those friendships was far better than getting it dead straight!

My point: Once you get settled, have a couple brainstorming/brain destroying parties for vision and options. After that, there’ll be enough damage you’ll have to rebuild it anyway, and then get all the visionaries together to get it done!

When that day comes, Mr. Phelps, I disavow any knowledge....

BFED192A-8104-4427-B85C-F0C1F5B454C7.jpeg

A few years ago on a rare snow day in Atlanta....

Last edited:

Sharky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
rule of thumb on what you want / need for the garage.....double the size you think you want, you will be better off in the future (y)

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Why do I get the feeling there will be Christmas Mood lighting strung all over the new place?
Because I leave Christmas lights strung over my bed 365 days a year. 🤷‍♂️

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Pretty cool. Congrats!

Raising the roof on the garage building may not be a huge deal - my parents added a second story to their house that way. Some friends down the road did too. Jacks, crane, Egyptian magic... lots of ways to do it... I would really look at the walls and stuff though, see if your cinder blocks are sitting on footers or if they're sitting on dirt. Both are common, sitting on dirt is NOT good. The addition on my house is built that way, the idiots stacked 3 layers of cinder blocks in the driveway, nailed a 2x6 to the top and built an addition on top of that... it moves when ever the ground freezes or thaws or gets wet or dries out.

If your walls and foundation are good, I'd raise it enough to put a few more rows of blocks on top of what's there and drop the roof down onto them... easy. Your local building codes will be the main thing there.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The building has a bathroom, tile floor, I believe a heating unit, finished ceiling, and was apparently a TV repair place back in the day. I'm suspecting it all sits on a concrete slab and that effort was taken to build it right.

According to the realtor it sounds like the city doesn't require a permit and I can pretty much do whatever I want.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Well that's a good sign. I'd still call your county planning dept and the city as well just to be sure... I ran into a problem with my building permit because my shed was too close to my fence, then they found out it was larger than a "shed" so I ended up paying a $250 fine before they would issue the permit. And it was through the county too, the city has a separate permit process but I'm just outside city limits.

Other towns/counties out here don't even have building codes or permits or anything, it's a hodgepodge.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Ditto @Shran Except, there are building codes and fire codes everywhere in the USA. If there’s not a specific city or county code, there is a state code. A lot of more rural places use NFPA guides as law, and reference them in rules, so they technically become law.

I suggest an innocent visit to the city or county engineers office “my friend is thinking of....”. “& asked me since I’m handy”. And feel them out. Never say I want to build this. Ask questions and end up making it their idea.

If it is borderline on any of the rules, start out with your local councilman or congressman. I’m very serious about this. Chat with them on how it will benefit the community, the neighbors are in favor of it, it’ll create jobs, it’ll increase the tax base, etc. then, when you go to the building inspector, refer to that councilman. Ideally, have the councilman call them in advance before you even visit them. It’s amazing how it greases the skids

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'm here by myself unless someone wants to have a garage roof raising party, so I'll have to hire a crew. I figured I'd get at least 3 estimates and advice on how to accomplish what I want, and then check to make sure I don't need any type of permit before I start. I'd think a decent construction company would know if they needed a permit to do something as well.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I'm here by myself unless someone wants to have a garage roof raising party, so I'll have to hire a crew. I figured I'd get at least 3 estimates and advice on how to accomplish what I want, and then check to make sure I don't need any type of permit before I start. I'd think a decent construction company would know if they needed a permit to do something as well.
If enough of us show up with step ladders, we could just lift it and hold for a few minutes while you slide pre-built wall sections in underneath. Sounds like a fun weekend trip.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Any reputable contracting company will be familiar with the local processes, etc.

Sharky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any reputable contracting company will be familiar with the local processes, etc.

yep , in this area , most contractors will take care of the needed permits & the cost is in the estimate . (y)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If enough of us show up with step ladders, we could just lift it and hold for a few minutes while you slide pre-built wall sections in underneath. Sounds like a fun weekend trip.
I always said I would do anything for a sandwich and a beer, but 1300 miles one way is a bit much.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Dont laugh at this- I really dont know, but do you have any amish communities near your new place? When my folks build a log home some 15 years ago they hired local amish to help and Im sure it was much cheaper than your average contractor. They really put in a days work too, I was there to help and was running a saw, there were 2 adult men and 2 teen boys. they only stopped for lunch & the end of the day. They mostly did the framing & roof. You know ohio has plenty of amish but Im unsure about the southern states.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Dont laugh at this- I really dont know, but do you have any amish communities near your new place? When my folks build a log home some 15 years ago they hired local amish to help and Im sure it was much cheaper than your average contractor. They really put in a days work too, I was there to help and was running a saw, there were 2 adult men and 2 teen boys. they only stopped for lunch & the end of the day. They mostly did the framing & roof. You know ohio has plenty of amish but Im unsure about the southern states.
I don't think many Amish have made it to Texas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals