• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my new FREE 1987 ranger 4x4

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
sorry i haven't updated in a bit been busy with school but this weekend i got the 91s radio installed in the 87, got the grill pulled off and head lights replaced, i drained the rear tanks varnish, and pulled the 8.8 out of my parts truck to sell and im gonna put its springs in the 87 dont got pics of that though

you can kinda see the dark bad gas in the can sorry its upside down

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
well made a bit of progress this weekend, i fiddled with some electrical problems and got most of them sorted out except the fact the reverse lights are on all the time in neutral but turn off when i put it in any gear even reverse idk what its deal is. but i did finally get it to run and stay running for a couple minutes but it's runnin richer than jeff bezos. it won't be moving under its own power till spring when i can get the new ring gear installed so i can just hop in and turn the key to start it insted of fiddlefucking with it for an hour to make it run.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Fun fact, some early rangers had a neutral switch AND a reverse switch on the transmission, usually with different connectors but it would be worth looking up there for two two pin connectors to see if they look the same...

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Well it has been too long since i updated yall on this pig but to be fair i just started messing with it Wednesday lol but i finally got it running relatively good and i finally got to take it for a spin. I haven't done the ring gear due to weather but once that's done this truck would be a great firewood getter.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Well I finally decided to just do the ring gear and quit procrastinating lol I started working on it 3 weeks ago and stopped after I had the clutch and flywheel installed back in because I started my first job and don’t have much time but Friday night i got the transmission in and put everything back together and put a fresh battery in then hoped in hit the key nothin l. Messed with it for awhile and found out the solenoid was bad so replaced that then it cranked over one time and then stops so I messed with more and oh boy my starter is bad. So made a trip to Napa got a few tune up parts including a starter and solenoid put all that stuff in hit the key nothing again so I tested my battery cables and found out the ground is broke and the starter wire was grounding out on the block so I replaced all that and now it runs like a top ish I spits and sputters a lot so I dumped in a can of that sea foam so hopefully that helps

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
kinda forgot to update yall but i sold the 87 to fund the 91 project and i was tired of messing with it but funny story the people that bought it turned out to be the people that sold the truck to the person i got it from like 10 years ago so they were happy to get it back and make a little farm truck out of it and i was happy to get rid of it and stop dumping money into it lol but im getting a new project this weekend its a 90 bronco 2 with alot of good interior parts i want to swap into my ranger and since its all the same color i can put the rangers old stuff n it and fix the engine and make a good profit but ill make another post about it soon

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals