• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My long weekend

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drove to PA on Thursday night after a work picnic. Got there about 11.

Friday, helped my Mom and Dad move a truckload of crap from a rental house. Wet carpet amongst the worst of it. That, and the landfill stunk and stained up my sneaks. Later, drove FIL's 2000 Grand Marquis 54 miles to Canonsburg to see the new born granddaughter.

Car has 55k miles, misfired like a SOB at any light throttle. Very aggravating drive, to say the least (not even factoring in 2 87 yo's that are hard of hearing).

Finally popped a steady CEL on the way home, literally minutes after I told the FIL it was gonna stay on soon and give me a code.

Threw a P0303 and nothing else. 4.6L V8 with COP. I like those now. Didn't have a single tool with me so I cobbled together his remnants of a 3/8 socket set and some random 1/4 sockets. Bought a 3/8-1/4 adapter, 5/8 deepwell, carb cleaner, feelers gage and 8 plugs. $50.

Sat morning, 36 degrees, changed out the plugs and sure enough, the #3 is wider and had brown caked on one side edge of the ground side. They were all over .065" gap. I rearranged the COPs' positions to see if the code moves with the COP, so far so good.

I also aired up his tires and tried to get the rear end to break loose and drift on a country curvy road, but the traction control is so very savvy. Could only manage screeching swerves with no satisfying fishtails. You know, "blowing the carbon out".

Oh well, it's fixed. Cleaned his MAF and IAC while I was in there. Did his serp belt last time I was up.

Sat afternoon we went to a wedding. Reception was a Halloween theme. I dressed as that goofy uncle in law wearing a suit and tie with dirty fingernails.

Drove home Sunday, stopped in Fred, VA to see my oldest boy. His Bronco had no headlights. I had no meter, so we used a lamp and a piece of wire to verify power. Took the connector off the foot dimmer switch, jumpered 2 of the 3 wires and lights worked. So, he needs a dimmer foot switch.

I should have taken pictures of that beast, especially the 4 coil spacers in EACH front coilspring, for lift. :icon_confused:

He bought it like that. I drove it (needs re-geared BADLY) and the 35" tires are ridiculous. That center joint from the dropped pitman arm is real sloppy too, making the steering scary. At first I thought it was a typical Ford sloppy sector gear adjustment, then I looked while he rocked the wheel. What do you call that joint that bolts to the Pitman arm? He needs a new one.

No wonder his fiancee won't drive it. I wouldn't either!

Topped it off with watching the Steelers lose out in my back garage while ignoring any trick or treaters that may have rung the doorbell of the dark house. Buncha beggin' brats.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals