• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My local PD is giving me problems with pistol permits

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Aight in NJ, and my local police department is giving me some shit with getting a pistol permit. I already got my FID and that took 6 months. They have a detective assigned to firearms and he's there 3 days a week mon-wed, well todays tuesday and he just "isnt there" i called his voicemail numerous times and he isnt ever there and never returns my calls. What are my recourses here? im a lifetime nra member and i've contact them already waiting for a response. Anybody else have an idea? contact his supervisors? go to the state polices?

ns_red7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe go tommorow or next monday? Going to his supervisor is likely to make it take even longer.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Here's the thing. He's never in the office........... even on his days working he's always gone and no one ever seems to know where he is. I leave messages and nothing. at this point its interfering with my second amendment rights and i have a problem with that

ns_red7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At least you have 2nd amendment rights!

Maybe see if you can get an appointment to meet with someone who does the same firearms detective job in the next precinct over? Might be worth a shot to make a couple calls, if this guy remains unreachable.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to piss them off you could always go to a lawyer. Have him draft a letter stating your intent to sue if this matter is not cleared up post hast. Say your constitutional rights are being denied and you expect action.

Personally, I'd doccument everything you have done to this point and go to his supervisor.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Just keep calling. Talking to his superviser. And I highly doubt that the 2nd admen is being violeted. If all else fails after 2 weeks, talk to lawyer about it.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my buddy is a criminal law lawyer and he said that my second amendment rights are being infringed apon on the basis that he is unintentionally attempting to slow or stop my application process and make it more difficult to deteur me from taking further action. tommorow if i cant get him or he's mysteriously just "away" again all day i'll be taking all of this and the letter that the NRA emailed me saying that they intend to assist me with legal assistance if the problem persists.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what NJ laws are but I think he's just lazy, not trying to block your rights. I'm sure there is a reason he's assigned to that pathetic job. I would certainly bully my way by telephone to his superior. No cop is afraid of lawyer threats. They are nearly immune to lawyers for one thing and they also hear that bullshit every day and pay it no mind. It's much better to be a pain in the ass that they want gone and going up and involving more people in his chain is a lot better way to be a pain in the ass.

Or move to Indiana. I go my 4-year permit when I moved here 12 years ago, then a couple of years ago they passed a lifetime permit that cost $60 so I got that when I renewed. The State Police are in charge of that program and they are very efficient--more military feeling then a local PD. And they seemed happy to be arming me too. The more the merrier, and I tend to agree.

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
holy shit you can get a pistol in NJ.LOL. Here in CO its, go to store wait 30 min and you got an AR-15 or tec-9, glock whatever you want

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
im going the bully on the phone route. every pistol needs its own permit in NJ, however you only get 1 federal firearms id card that is used to purchase long guns. i could have 20 ar-15's in about an hour if i wanted them. they just keep pistols tight here. I dont think he's trying to block my rightsm i think he's just a lazy ass moron who is more interested in other aspects of his job. howerver my budy is gona draft a letter as well as the NRA letter i have. im hoping he'll just do it so im out of his hair, kinda a squeaky wheel gets the grease first.

svtranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
By pass him and go to the chief, if that doesn't work take it to the city council meeting or get a meeting with the mayor. Always be polite and professional but be the biggest pain in the ass!

The big thing is to be the biggest pain in the side to him. you will eventually get it but its going to be a lot of frustration and wasted time.

Get your lawyer buddy and the NRA involved, google gun organizations/ clubs in NJ and join a few, the NRA is great but IMHO they are too big to bother with one man. The local instate clubs will have more first hand experience with your situation.

And if you think its tough getting one now just wait!

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
im going the bully on the phone route. every pistol needs its own permit in NJ, however you only get 1 federal firearms id card that is used to purchase long guns. i could have 20 ar-15's in about an hour if i wanted them. they just keep pistols tight here. I dont think he's trying to block my rightsm i think he's just a lazy ass moron who is more interested in other aspects of his job. howerver my budy is gona draft a letter as well as the NRA letter i have. im hoping he'll just do it so im out of his hair, kinda a squeaky wheel gets the grease first.
call the local policeman union and thank them. lazy SOBs.

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So you have to get a firearm ID card. ?? is that so if a gun was ever found on the street, they could trace it back to whoever bought it the first time around??. Its just when I order parts online there are so many places they won't ship anything to, mostly east coast, west coast, cuz of all the restrictions.

P.S. sorry to hear that the PD are a bunch of lazy SOB's good luck.

bmacsys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know what NJ laws are but I think he's just lazy, not trying to block your rights. I'm sure there is a reason he's assigned to that pathetic job. I would certainly bully my way by telephone to his superior. No cop is afraid of lawyer threats. They are nearly immune to lawyers for one thing and they also hear that bullshit every day and pay it no mind. It's much better to be a pain in the ass that they want gone and going up and involving more people in his chain is a lot better way to be a pain in the ass.

Or move to Indiana. I go my 4-year permit when I moved here 12 years ago, then a couple of years ago they passed a lifetime permit that cost $60 so I got that when I renewed. The State Police are in charge of that program and they are very efficient--more military feeling then a local PD. And they seemed happy to be arming me too. The more the merrier, and I tend to agree.

Lifetime permit? That is sweet. In Connecticut you have to renew every six years. I feel bad for the people in my neighboring states on NY and Mass. Don't even think of trying to carry or get a permit.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yea in NJ only law enforcment can carry. you WILL NOT get a conceiled permit. Yes you get an FID so when you buy the gun from the dealer its assigned to you after that you can sell it at will with no transfer as long as it isnt a handgun. in order to get a handgun you need to apply for a separate permit for each. its a bunch of bullshit really. The NRA instructed me to contact the Office of the attorney general so i did. Im hoping they will place a call in for me or draft me a letter. suposedly according to the NRA our attorney general is very pro gun.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals