• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My last questions...maybe

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I am in the middle of my swap right now and just have a few small questions that I beleive I know the answers to but would like to double check.

1. Will this oil filter relocation device that I ordered work?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-291/?image=large

2. What imbalance do I need for my flywheel? Its a 1991 5.0, I know I need the 164 tooth but is it the 50 oz. imbalance I think I need?

3. Is the starter the same out of and auto as a manual?

Look forward to answers and thanks in advance

djkommando

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 ranger
Engine Size
306 HO
Transmission
Manual
yes, that is the correct filter relocation, if its an HO its a 50 oz, and the starter is the same if its auto or manual

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not a HO, So what would it be then?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Anything after 1980 is 50 oz.

Your filter relocater is the right one.

auto and manual starter is the same (bellhousing locates it differently)

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anything after 1980 is 50 oz.

Your filter relocater is the right one.

auto and manual starter is the same (bellhousing locates it differently)
Ditto, but I'll add that the flexplate size is going to be determined by the transmission you're using and the bellhousing size (157 or 164 tooth)

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
Hey djkommando...are the starters the same? When I bought mine I was told there was a difference. The nose length of a manual is different vs. and auto. Hum...did someone pull my leg and make me buy something I didn't need?

djkommando

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 ranger
Engine Size
306 HO
Transmission
Manual
well the starter i bought said auto or manual. plus if you look up the starter on the website for a parts store there is nothing about auto or manual

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
I just looked on auto zones website and they have different starters for auto or manual. Not trying to counter what your saying but I have had a few people tell me the nose of the starter is different length for auto or manual. Trying to figure this out myself. :icon_confused:*

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is advance auto parts. They show manual and auto. What the hell....:icon_confused:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&searchTerm=starters[/IMG]

djkommando

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 ranger
Engine Size
306 HO
Transmission
Manual
well i cant get your link to work, and i just looked on advance, autozone and oreilly and neither have a designation for auto or manual on 91 mustang and crown vic 5.0

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was looking under F150. That's the bellhousing, flywheel, and pressure plate I'm using. Maybe that's why we are seeing different items?

djkommando

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 ranger
Engine Size
306 HO
Transmission
Manual
the one for the f150 auto is the same part number as the mustang w/ no specification as to auto or manual

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Here is advance auto parts. They show manual and auto. What the hell....:icon_confused:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&searchTerm=starters[/IMG]

I was looking under F150. That's the bellhousing, flywheel, and pressure plate I'm using. Maybe that's why we are seeing different items?
Many (but not all) Ford starters are different manual to automatic. 5.0 Mustangs are the same with either transmission but many truck apps are not. I'm working on a trans swap and the nose of the F150 manual starter is shorter than the auto trans starter. It's only 3/8" difference but it will trash the starter and flywheel/flexplate if the wrong combo is used.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i put an auto starter out if a mustang gt in my 302 swap with a zf 5 speed cuz i was told they were the same and while i was seating cam bearings the motor started to slow up a little then a hellacious grinding noise so i threw the key off quick and pulled the starter and bumped the key and the starter was locked up and the flywheel teeth were marked a little so i went to advance and bought a starter for a manual and noticed the starter gear pulls away from the flywheel alot further. So my conclusion is the auto starter doesnt pull away from the flywheel enough and the motor kept spinning it till it knocked out the bearings and came to a screeching halt, unless you want to risk knocking teeth off the flywheel for a measly $60 i wouldnt do it................

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals