• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My First Truck

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 (until it breaks anyway)
Transmission
Manual
First off, hello all. I came across this site while researching the 4.0 cologne engine and after looking around for a bit, was quite pleased with the info and community and decided to join.

Anyway, I am currently looking to buy my first truck. After much research I have cleared the field of all other small trucks but a ranger/bseries and a toyota. Due to the extreme overpricing of Toyotas, I have decided that a ford is the best way to go.

I have a few questions I want to ask owners of these trucks. I am looking for something that will be reliable enough to make a 3+ hr trip at least 4 times a month and run every day. I would like to get somewhere over 20mpg on the highway. And I need this for under $2000. (and I should probably ask it be gold plated too right?)

What I want to know is what will run well and what should I avoid? I know that the 3.0 vulcan can run nearly forever when its not abused, I also have heard that 2.9s are prone to cracking.

How is the ford electronic 4wd system? I come from a jeep family and they all swear against such push button systems, but I would like to hear how owners feel about it.

one more thing:
I have a '94 b4000 currently on the hook (manual, 187k miles, 4X4) how long could such a setup be expected to run? it runs well now, has a slight oil leak, I'm told probably coming from a worn out gasket. The tranny was just gone over (I don't remember what all he said was done) with about $700 put into it. It only needs a headlight and a battery, and I can get it for $1100.
I also have access to a truck with a 3.0 in it (wrecked, engine runs). Can the 3.0 be easily swapped into this b4000?

Many thanks to all who read and respond, I know its a huge wall of text.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I know that B4000's are hard on gas

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
That 4.0 will serve you quite well once you replace the seals. It would either be the front cover or the rear main seal. It would be well worth replacing whichever one is going out. Those are something that you only have to deal with every 100,000 miles or so...

Any of the Mazda B-series or Rangers of any generation will serve you well as long as you keep up on the normal maintenance on all the parts. Keep a watch for unusal noises and different conditions. Those are indicators of something needing looking at. Even though it may seem like alot, it really isn't because you save money by replacing little bitty things instead of taking it to a shop to replace something that you should've got to earlier...

I feel like I'm going on and on and on... so I'm going to stop and see what other people chime in with.

Best of Luck, and welcome the TheRangerStation

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
4.0 should do you , and no a 3.0l swap it would have to be a 4x4 as well and you would have to swap in the transmission the engine and the computer/harness.....pain

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 4.0 ohv is great, lots of torque and the gas milage isn't that bad, my '97 exporer sport gets at least 20mpg on the highway doin 85mph and its an auto.

Milker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
good choice with the ford. my 94 ranger xlt get atleast 22 just about all the time. I was told one of the ford 6 cylinder tended to crak the head (i think) it cracks something. not sure which one but mines a 3.0 and its a great machine to cruise around in.

imports sucks, tin and plastic

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 should do you , and no a 3.0l swap it would have to be a 4x4 as well and you would have to swap in the transmission the engine and the computer/harness.....pain
Agreed on the 3.0 swap. Besides, 3.0's are crappy engines.. I know, I have one.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0 is far from a crappy motor. Just because it's not fast does not make it a bad motor, there's more qualifications than just horsepower.

If you want longevity and reliability, the 3.0 wins hands down, with the 4cyl behind it. With an iron block and iron heads, and old school pushrods, it will not let you down as long as you do routine maintenance.

I have near 140k on my truck right now, the only major thing I've done is the oil pan (I live in the salt belt). Out of all the potential problems to be had, my 3.0 has NEVER left me stranded or needed anything special. However, I'm of the variety that could care less about power, and need top reliability. I would absolutely by another 3.0 powered Ranger if I were to get a new one.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 3.0 is far from a crappy motor. Just because it's not fast does not make it a bad motor, there's more qualifications than just horsepower.

If you want longevity and reliability, the 3.0 wins hands down, with the 4cyl behind it. With an iron block and iron heads, and old school pushrods, it will not let you down as long as you do routine maintenance.

I have near 140k on my truck right now, the only major thing I've done is the oil pan (I live in the salt belt). Out of all the potential problems to be had, my 3.0 has NEVER left me stranded or needed anything special. However, I'm of the variety that could care less about power, and need top reliability. I would absolutely by another 3.0 powered Ranger if I were to get a new one.
I hate the 3.0 you, "The 3.0's biggest fan" like it.
It's all about opinion. My opinion is that its a POS.
My brothers Nissan 4cyl truck can go 70+ up hills that my V6 can barely keep a steady 40 up..

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
fight nice kids.
Thanks to all who answered my questions. You have been a big help.
I'm going to let this b-series go, after looking a bit more, its not what I need.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0's primary issues are that the engine lacks sufficient torque to "pull" most hills
and many people seem to have an allergy to downshifting and letting the engine spin
to where it produces power that through the "miracle of gear reduction" can be converted into torque.

That and the gearing was chosen to do well on the EPA "test loop" rather
than driving in the real world.

koda6966, you are discussing "Trucks" Vs "Engines" what gearing does
that Nissan have?
If you don't provide all the information you are being misleading,
intentionally or otherwise.

As for Longevity I agree that the 3.0 is #1.

I DO NOT AGREE that second place goes to the 4cylinder
I've seen too many simply seize up (I've had TWO 2.3DPIS engines do this)
the issue with 2.3's is that they are realy inadequate for a 4x4 truck so they tend to get driven harder, which shortens their life dramatically.

If you live in kansas or somewhere similarly flay you probably won't mind,
anywhere else? forget them

I believe the '93/94 4.0 is the best of the bunch but the truck being specifically mentioned by thoughtcriminal is a bit "long in the tooth".
It's old enough that I'd be suspicious of an oil leak if you can't precicely pin it down
to a leaky valve cover.
Particularly on a factory 5sp engine, each time you push down on the
clutch pedal the thrust bearing in the engine is resisting the load,
and it cannot do so indefinatly. this is why when I go hunting for an
engine donor I don't even look at manual trans trucks.

4.0's CAN get 20plus MPG but you have to restrain yourself AND have
the correct gearing.
I know that 4.10's are too limiting of top speed and 3.55's create
a need for too much downshifting.

if you only NEED the truck to get 20mpg you can do it (reliably) with a 4.0 and 3.73 gears, but NOT if you get a truck with an auto trans, it's gotta be a 5sp.

4.0 engines are mind bogglingly common in junkyards everywhere.
Somewhere in america while I typed this two RUNNING explorers
were sold to junkyards because they had dead automatic transmissions
(or body rust or collision dammage not worth fixing)

The 4.0 if you stick to a '93 or 94 is AS reliable as any year 3.0.

There are specific "issues" with every mechanical device ever made
and just within the 3.0 or 4.0 in rangers it's too long to list them all
in a post.

As for the Electronic shift 4x4? it's JUNK, however getting a truck with a conventional "iron lever" 4x4 system will generally be more expensive
(and probably will have been used harder in it's life) than an electronic shift truck
But most importantly the electronic shift truck can EASILY be converted to
manual shift transfer case.

It usually takes only a couple hours.

So for $1100? if the truck is relatively free of rust or collision dammage
and since it's a 5sp trans you should reconsider.

you stated that you were prepared to spend UP to $2000, and within that range and the $1100 purchase price of the truck you have room for $900 worth of "improvements" and repairs.

If the trans has recently been gone over that eliminates a major worry.

AD

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, here is the deal. The other day I came across a ford f150 with a 4.9 v6 in it. Took it for a test drive just for kicks. Liked the way it drove, plenty of power for what I would need to do with it.
Started talking with some owners both online and in person of similar set up trucks. And here is the kicker. that engine is known to live 300k miles+ and get about 20 highway. The 4.0 gets about 20 mpg highway. Why bother with the lesser truck?

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
You said cost is a factor and the Ranger would most likely be cheaper than the F-150. I've got a 4.0 also, get around 19mpg around town and something like 25-28 on the highway, that's with a lift and 33" tires. My motor is also close to rolling over 200k miles and has not had any major problems. As long as you change the oil and do the tune ups etc, the 4.0 is a long lasting, durable and high torque motor.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, here is the deal. The other day I came across a ford f150 with a 4.9 v6 in it. Took it for a test drive just for kicks. Liked the way it drove, plenty of power for what I would need to do with it.
Started talking with some owners both online and in person of similar set up trucks. And here is the kicker. that engine is known to live 300k miles+ and get about 20 highway. The 4.0 gets about 20 mpg highway. Why bother with the lesser truck?
I wouldn't put a lot of money on that 300 hitting 20mpg on the highway. Even if it did a 4.0 Ranger would eat it alive milage/wise around town. Starting and stopping 5000lbs of iron takes its share of juice.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The 300 MIGHT hit 20 on the highway, but in town and especially in a fullsize it's going to drop drastically. Strong dependable engine though.

The 3.0 ranger is reliable. The 3.0 ranger is so underpowered it really has nothing over a four cylinder ranger.

The 4.0 can tick with old age, apparently due to bad cam bearing design which prevents sufficient oil from getting to the rockers where the pushrods meet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals