• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my favorite truck stop restaurant.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
this was my favorite McDonalds during the recent lockdowns. they never had a wait in the drive thru. it's the red portion of the roof.
we would eat in the parking lot just like the old (really old) days.
as a child I lived about 2 miles east of here, behind the camera. Now I'm in Toledo about 8 miles south of there.
that's US 223 going west, US 23 is directly under the camera.

I snagged the pic from a local news story.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if a place that doesn't serve Chicken Fried Steak with gravy and mash potatoes can qualify as a "Truck stop" :)
And, of course, Biscuits and sausage gravy served 24/7

But been quite few years since I was doing road trips

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
this location is sort of a quick stop before their destination. close to Detroit and is on a major route for Canadian trucks. it's about an hour to the Ambassador Bridge, less that 3 hours to Sarnia.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looks like a Pilot location? We have one of those...the Windmill truck stop. The bar/restaurant next door was the local favorite in my group of friends. Decent food, cheap drinks, open 24/7, free pool and darts.

I despise the gas station part though. They have it set up so that trucks must make a left turn out of the parking lot after filling up, in order to get back on the interstate. It's a left turn onto a busy four lane street too. Should have arranged their pumps differently so that trucks exit out the back and end up at the stop light instead!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My favorite "truck stop" as a kid was the Conlee truck stop at the Birch Run exit. A trip up north always started with a stop there. They had a pretty good sporting goods store back in the day. It was kind of the last chance to get what you needed for up north adventures. I believe my first pair of Sorel hunting boots were bought there. Fond memories of my dad turning me loose in there to get my stuff for deer season.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
My favorite "truck stop" as a kid was the Conlee truck stop at the Birch Run exit. A trip up north always started with a stop there. They had a pretty good sporting goods store back in the day. It was kind of the last chance to get what you needed for up north adventures. I believe my first pair of Sorel hunting boots were bought there. Fond memories of my dad turning me loose in there to get my stuff for deer season.
on the way up it was Forwards in Standish. always had some french toast there. that was before the interstate was completed.
it's a shame they shut down Freeway Fritz, brought a lot of chicken home from there.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
on the way up it was Forwards in Standish. always had some french toast there. that was before the interstate was completed.
it's a shame they shut down Freeway Fritz, brought a lot of chicken home from there.

We typically did the Forwards at the Rose City Alger exit. Now they have a beef jerky outlet across the street. Love that place!

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
We frequented one in Clearwater, MN that had a restaurant called Nelson Bros. when I was a kid. I haven’t been there in quite some time but I remember it being pretty good. Also another one in the next town over called Hasty was good. These were on I-94.

In college there was a Petro in Fargo, ND with a restaurant called the Iron Skillet. They had what we called the midnight buffet, and on Saturday nights after a few sodas we would take a cab over there and gorge. Also they had fantastic country fried steak. They gutted all that and installed a Popeyes chicken. It’s ok, but in my opinion definitely not the shiznit, and I liked the Iron Skillet better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals