• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My DUH moment!

Ranger Mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Alumni: Hard knocks F.U.
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, probably just too simple for anyone to miss except me.

'96 ranger 3.0 2x4 extended cab with 4r44e.
Before you decide to pull apart your tranny, check your coolant level. My trans was slipping between 2nd and 3rd gears when it was warmed up and moderate acceleration. The temp gauge was only slightly higher than normal but we had over 100° temps so I didn't pay attention to it. I went to do a fluid check this weekend and found the coolant level down. I filled it then had to run somewhere and figured I'd deal with the trans later. All the slipping and hard shifts dissapeared.
Moral of the story?
Keep your auto trans cool!!
Hope this saves someone some money.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Good to know... because of that mini "radiator" for the ATF, right?... and one of MANY reasons I only fly M5OD, lulz. The manual trans runs ATF too, but it stays relatively cool because it's just splashing around at ambient pressure, NOT getting the snot squeezed out of it by high pressure pump, which also HEATS the life out of it. At 60k miles mine was still red.

OTOH, I have 4WD, so there's a MICRO-radiator for the power-steering... literally like 4 square inches... not sure how much good it does, but it is a convenient bleed point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals