• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My door has a gap at the top (like bad camber), how should I fix this?

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So, a long time ago, a honda fit ran into the driver side of my truck. A new paint job and used door from pick your part later, and I have a non-demolished door. However, this new door seems to be off a bit, as if it's camber was off. The top of the door has a good half inch gap that required me to add weatherstripping to seal it, but the bottom seems to be an eighth of an inch too far in. Again, like my door-camber is too positive (sorry, really can't think of a better way to describe it). I do not see any shims or any adjustments near the hinges, and the accident damage was back near the cab, so I don't suspect bent hinges (the old door still closed and lined up perfect, it was just smashed in). I've searched around a bit and the best piece of advice I can find is to just bend it back. Literally use a block of wood to block the bottom, and push in on the top till it bends back to normal. Is this safe? Everyone says to keep the window down, but can this hurt or damage anything? Should I be worried? Or is this the only way? Any input would be much appreciated. Every time I look at that door sticking out at the top, it drives me CRAZY :shok:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've done it myself a couple of times and just helped someone do the same to a 2009 f-150 after getting the locked in keys out.

Richard

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
did you install the door or did a body shop? it is possible that when you tightened up the hinges that the door moved and just needs adjusted.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I installed it myself. It lines up fine, it just seems to be tweaked. Tried to line it up when I installed it, no adjustments the way I need it.

On a good note, though, I tried the "block the bottom and push really hard on the top" technique, and it worked... a little. Definitely helped a good bit. Going to remove the extra weatherstripping and get it as good as possible tomorrow. Will post pics if I can get a camera, hehe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals