• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MY BEST 4x4 ADVICE - Ronny Dahl

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good video.

The spare tire thing bugged me a lot when I was coming up with what to do with mine. Pretty much anywhere at the front of the bed blocked all rearward visibility unless it was laying flat and I would have to unpack the most of the bed to get to the spare.

I eventually convinced myself for the footprint of a tire laying flat so I could see over it (killed basically 1/6 of the bed) I could find heavier stuff to move ahead to there and since my truck is actually configured more like a troop carrier (with 0 side access to anything in the back) than a pickup so mounting a tire off the back shouldn't be too bad.

I rebuilt the rear suspension so it is hard to do a direct comparison but it rode 10x better with the heavy gear forward despite having the spare on the back last year going to Indiana than it did the year prior going to Ohio.

And of course the double edged sword is I made more room so I have more room... so I can't add more heavy crap to fill the void thinking it is a free pass.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Not to mention the camper fits better without a spare on the bed floor.

Spare in the bed didn't work for me either.

The swing out is cool and it's part of my camping set up... for road tripping/hunting/camping... it serves it's purpose and I like it.

On my daily driver and part time work truck... it's kind of a PITA. I've had it off since the first of the year. It probably won't go back on until I do any of the above activities... and do a couple updates.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to mention the camper fits better without a spare on the bed floor.
If it works that will be a perk too, the swingout was in motion before the camper though.

It might just be a sneak it in to town for the carshow kind of a thing, I don't know how the truck will handle with the camper (especially loaded) with the spare on the back.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If it works that will be a perk too, the swingout was in motion before the camper though.

It might just be a sneak it in to town for the carshow kind of a thing, I don't know how the truck will handle with the camper (especially loaded) with the spare on the back.
Did you add or beef up the sway bar?
Add in air bags?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you add or beef up the sway bar?
Add in air bags?
Explorer springs, I have added the smallest/most common swaybar (93+, same as what gump went all over the country with when he had the camper) but I haven't had the camper in the truck yet post sway bar. My truck didn't originally have one in the rear and while sketchy at first it wasn't bad once I got the hang of it with the camper.

First and I think second gen Rangers had a 3/4" rear sway bar, whenever the cutoff was and newer got a 5/8" swaybar. 2wd Bronco II's had a 1".

I thought I would try the 5/8" since the bed was off the donor and see if I could get by with that maybe not totally hose my articulation when playing offroader without the camper.

The truck seemed to carry the base camper ok, I can cheat on the luggage side since a standard cab Ranger playing family camper doesn't have enough seats and will require a support vehicle anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals