• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My AR Build

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
duracoat....tan, brown, woodland green and britsh dpm green all mixed together lol. the lower didnt turn out very well though. i'll probably redo it at some point. it's flaked off in a few places and i've have to touch it up

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
looks like the rail, flip up sights and crush washer for the muzzle brake will be here tomorrow. picked up some ammo yesterday too, so maybe i can get out and shoot it this weekend or next.

i also found this cool little mod for the rear takedown spring. cost me $6 with the tap.

this is what my rear take down pin detent spring looked like. i tweaked it whilst taking the buffer tube on and off. it still worked fine, but i wanted to fix it.

you need a 4-40 threaded allen head screw that looks like this. i bought 10 of them b/c they were 20 cents each and i'm sure i'll lose some.

tap the rear hole with a 4-40 tap

then trim an 1/8" off of the spring, install the detent and spring and then the screw.
\

i also saw this guy on youtube that used a wood burning kit on his pmags. you can use it to add some grip to the plastic mags. i thought it was cool, so i did it to one of mine. the stippling takes forever, i've found doing lines is much faster and works just as well.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
got the rail and my crush washers today. went ahead and finished everything up. so it's ready to shoot now! maybe this weekend or next, we'll see. flip up BUIS's should be here tomorrow.

the rail actually isnt as big a piece of shit as i was expecting. def not a midwest industries or troy, but it would be fine for a range gun. i do plan on replacing it though.

i like it for my first build. cant wait to shoot it. i think i might build a .22 AR now, i found a place that sells 80% polymer lowers and i'm getting a benchtop mill in a couple weeks.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Looks good, I might have to start a fund to build one....

Although it would probably be cheaper for me if I just used my desire to play around building something in the house on the couple dozen plastic model kits I have, but.....

An AR might be more fun....

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it's just as much fun as a model and then you can shoot stuff with it. you can buy parts as you get the money too, that's what i liked about it. i always end up finding something else to spend my money on when i try to save up. which is actually what i did with this gun, i was intending to buy a .17 lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
got the flip sights today. ready to shoot now. they're pretty nice for $35. all metal, seem to be solid and you can replace most of the parts on it.

5.56 round for size reference

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well done, looks good man. Now go up to the hills and pop off a hundred rounds and enjoy your hard work!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
need some opinions.....i put the butt stock from my sks on my AR. i dont think i like the look actually. i may go with a different color stock when i replace it.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Are you going to put accessories on it? Like a scope, bi-pod, grip, flashlight, lasers? Suppressor? :D

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it was me I would go for a black grip and a black but stock...too many colors fighting for my attention on the rifle. But again it's not my rifle, it is yours to customize how you see fit.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you going to put accessories on it? Like a scope, bi-pod, grip, flashlight, lasers? Suppressor? :D
just a scope or a red dot, a sling and some upgraded lower parts...... no flashlight or lasers as of right now. i have my mossberg shotgun that holds 7+1 to protect our apartment. when we buy a house next year, i may use the AR for the house, but i'm not sure. i dont want to shoot any neighbors.

i put in paperwork for a suppressor back in february for my .308, it'll be here in november i hope. i found an adapter to change the 1/2-28 threads on the AR to the same 5/8-24 threads that my .308 and suppressor have. so i will have a suppressor.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it was me I would go for a black grip and a black but stock...too many colors fighting for my attention on the rifle. But again it's not my rifle, it is yours to customize how you see fit.
i was thinking about that too. i may exchange the FDE grip for a black one. i already switched the stock back over to the black one, i didnt like it.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
vortex makes some good stuff. i wouldnt have minded having one of their tactical scopes on my 700P, but they were way out of my price range. about a grand. they're nice though.

i'm looking at 3 red dots right now

a lucid h7 (this one has a 2x magnifier you can screw into the back)

vortex sparc

and a bushnell trs-25

leaning towards the lucid right now just b/c it's different.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
if i get a scope, i'm leaning towards this one

nikon m223 1-4x

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals