• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my 99 is getting converted....

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
so as some as you know... my 95 is an extreme mut! its got a 04 sohc motor. 00 cab, 96 frame, 76 front axle the list can go on! iam now in the process of tearing my beautiful blue 99 OHV motor out of my dd.. motor runs fine just did new heads and pushrods, rocker and rocker arm spacers on it last year ... my 95 is chipped running on the stock comp and with that beast pushing 35s and 4.88 gears it hauls a** compared to my stock 99. figured it was time to upgrade and catch the 99 up to speed. ive bought a few parts trucks the last few weeks and ive been wanting to swap to a SOHC in it. ive already swapped it to a standard. as we speak ive got the OHV out and SOHC is cleaned and gone through sitting on the stand. my biggest issue i can see in this entire swap is making the pats system happy. ive got a few options. A my buddy makes me a diablo chip with a pats delete. Voila it "should" run. B i tear the entire dash, and engine bay harness out of the 01 parts truck i have sitting next to it and spend a few hours getting that all in. and ill still be able to use my jet programmer Or C sell the programmer, dont buy the chip and wait a few weeks for a sct custom tune..... i think iam going to run with option A to start and go from there..
Figured i would let some of you know what kinda fun iam getting myself into this weekend!:icon_thumby:

broussard91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
if it cant hang it cant stay
What's he charge for the pats delete chip where do you install it

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
so we made some progress today.. motor is in and everything is hooked up and it RUNS! well sorta.. we were able to use the 01 compuer and key in the 99 and made our own ghetto pats connections for a test to see if it would work.. it sorta does, but you have to just the starter relay in order for it to crank over. it wont crank with the key in the ignition so we are back to the drawing board trying to figure that out. and i dont have 4 low so iam wondering if its because the truck its self used to be an auto 4.0 OHV i jumped 2 connections in the engine harness on old motor for starter circuit and 4 low circuit everything worked.. didnt think i would have to do this on the SOHC engine since the harness is a 5 spd one.. anyone have an idea?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your 4lo issue is most likely from the different vss. If you have 4hi, Once you have the correct speed system, 4lo will work. 01 ecu controls the starter solenoid, so either you need to swap that correct wiring into it, or get a 00 ecu...

SVT

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
Your 4lo issue is most likely from the different vss. If you have 4hi, Once you have the correct speed system, 4lo will work. 01 ecu controls the starter solenoid, so either you need to swap that correct wiring into it, or get a 00 ecu...

SVT

well we got it running under its own power and running off the ignition key.:yahoo:.... everything is great except for a couple small problems....

A 4 low still doesnt work. i jumped the pink and tan/orange wire in the block plug for the starter engagement like it was on the auto harness and that gave me starter engagement with key.

B my speedo works but doesnt.. if your going 40 it gets up to 40 hangs and drops then comes back and does this for every mph.

C i have no airbag indicator light now. :icon_confused: plug scanner in to check codes and air back indcator code comes up... doesnt even light up with ignition on..

and i must add its like night and day vs the OHV motor.. power increase is AWESOME and it became even more crisp with the jet programmer. but now if i can fix the other small issues i will be golden..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals