• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My '97 2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This is where it starts. Not as extreem as many that I'm see here, but I have a different purpose than most, maybe.

I'm really interested in better gas mileage and reliablity, but I believe that with a bit more performance..you can put less throttle on and get better mileage. I had a '74 911 many years ago that got 30mpg at 80......for instance. I'll be spending more time on I-10 from West Texas to the Gulf...the speedlimit is 80. There's no way I can match that in this, but maybe 26-27 at 80. I've gotten 26mpg at 76 between Austin and San Antonio.

Here's my list that'll I'll start with.

High out put oil pump.
New oil screen. (I'm not looking forward to this)
Valve adjusters.
Performance intake and exhaust/past the header(nothing to extreem).
High output Coils/Wires.
Full ground effects
Lower the front 1" and the rear just enough to level.
Fiberglass or composites every where possible.
Bed cover of some sort, but I may mold one myself.

I know I'll think of more as it goes, and I appreciate tips from the vast experience of all the builders in this forum.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Haven't been able to find a High Output Oil Pump, but I'll keep looking. Did find a Melling replacement.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1st things 1st, for me.....

...I've put Accel Super Coils on most of my vehicles.
The info I found about these particular coils was, that I can put them on my '97, and that I can't. So I'll find out this weekend.

I'm not using oil on the K&N.

JP85prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 4x4 2.3l ,
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Your headed in the right direction. I have a 94 4x4 and am currently achieving 26 MPG mixed driving at speeds up to 75mph. My MPG are fairly constant. My trick is have the engine run in the power band for the majority of driving and put it in neutral when you can during city driving. Here is a list of Mods I have done. I didnt notice more economy on all but overall I am happy with the power and mileage increase I have seen overall.

K&N air filter (filter only), Larger unrestricted air induction tube, accel coil packs , Thunderbolt 8.2 spark plug cables, E-3 plugs, Fitch fuel catlyst, crank under drive pulley, electric fan (which rarely runs with the newer larger radiator), I run royal purple 10W-30, new gearing (5.13 with 31" BFG all terrains). My exhaust is free flowing with a stock header. I also changed my axles to an 8.8 with an E-locker, and an open D-35. So I added weight. and height.

I think you can easily clear 30MPG with your set up, but its all about how you drive. One thing I would recommend Is a good set of low resistance rockers, and watch your crank case vacuum.

My future plans include Harland sharp rockers, a snorkel type intake (more cool clean air), and start port matching and polishing my intake manifold. when the engine starts to go I will be utilizing a good high flow head. With only 193,000 Miles I have a long way to go.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
:yahoo:...This coil pack "Accel 140018-EDIS" x2 does work just fine. On alldata it states to replace mine with a DIS type, and in all the parts places it shows this coil for 1998 on or to 200*.

I only got one of the plug wire sets (the easy side) on, the rain was coming and it's getting dark. Tomorrow I'll get that and the K&N on.

So far, I've just done some easy stuff....but that's ok for now. Heck, I just finished rebuilding the carbs on my '77 Goldwing....that was tough as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Nice, little mods like this will go a long way and help the motor perform alot better. I used to have a 2.3 in my '92, but when you have to drop it into 4th to maintain 70 going up an incline, something had to be done.

I swapped in a 302, but some of me wishes that I should've went turbo on the 4-banger, but what's done is done.:D

JP85prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 4x4 2.3l ,
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
At 65 rpm I am about 3100 RPM. Right in my power band. I love the gears.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
...I used to have a 2.3 in my '92, but when you have to drop it into 4th to maintain 70 going up an incline, something had to be done.
I solved this problem by going down 2 tire heights. It was a while back, but I think I went from 225 to 195, or maybe 205..I don't remember off hand. The American version comes with very tall tires for the look they think the market wants, but if you check out the typical Mazda, they have shorter tires. Take a good look at the photo at top.

It works at least, to some degree....I can do 70 up a hill in 5th (lugging a bit), but 73 and I'm fine.:icon_bounceblue:

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok, after getting most of this installed (except the driver's side plugs and wires, I'll do that next weekend), I took a drive to the next town over and back. Headwinds, over a couple medium ranges (maybe 1500ft.) a bit in that town to a couple stores, and mostly highway at 69 to 78 mph....with the AC on. I got 28.84 miles per gallon, but only 70 miles round-trip.

I think it's running easier? It'll take a while to come to real conclusions. I also have some more typical work to do on it. Maybe valve lash adjusters, and I really want to check the oil screen.

The hood closes, but it's tight. Here's the reason I didn't push the KN further down.

I'll have to move things around a bit to make it fit right...so the hood's not tight.

The good news is, I found a problem that'd happen sooner or later. The hose clamp below was wearing a hole in one of my AC lines (the bottom arrow). For now, I just stopped it from hitting the line till I move things around.

...and here's my other truck, "Big Blue". A '93 and a good one. 7.3 Diesel, pre-powerstroke.

Last edited:

pickuptrucker

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 baby!
Transmission
Manual
ok so far all you did is coil/plugs/wires and intake? i have the same truck but i'm getting like 22-25. i must not be going fast enough! with 30" tires im definatly out of my power band

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ok so far all you did is coil/plugs/wires and intake? i have the same truck but i'm getting like 22-25. i must not be going fast enough! with 30" tires im definatly out of my power band
Yup..not really the same truck with those tires on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals