• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 95 Ranger stalls out

Bish0psaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My name is Sean and I have a huge problem....my 95 will start up with no problem, but it revs up and back down then up and back down then I give it a little gas and it sounds like it doesn't want to go....I'll take it around the block at the first stop sign it Putts then stalls out....I can fire it back up and go, I'll put it in 2nd and it wants to jerk me like a 8 second Bull....but I step on it and is smooths out. I replaced the fuel pump, filter, checked timing, Put heet in the tank just in case any water got in, checked plugs.....Now i'm stuck with a 95 pile of iron on the side of my house as I look at it collect dust...Please help...

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
do you have any codes. disconnect the maf/map and see if it gets better. then disconnect the following one at a time, iacv, ect, see if it gets better ..................have you checked for spark, have you check the airfilter/air intake.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Staion!

Clean the IAC, see if that helps. Clean the MAF with MAF cleaner.

Look at all the vacuum tubing, see if any are cracked, loose, etc.
Inspect the PCV tubing and the hose to the brake booster too.
Make sure the oil cap has a good seal.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Ya like model a said, start by pulling some codes. BTW the timing is not adjustable on these. Anyways find the code and let us know!
also to add to earls post. while ur cleaning the MAF check all the clamps on the intake pipes and boots. And check the rubber elbows for cracks.

Bish0psaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I should of said what else I did. I have a k&n after market air filter and we took all that off nothing connected and it idle's so rough and if you spray starter fluid in it calms down and as soon as I give it a lil gas it sounds like its back firing and as I hold the throttle down it'll get goin as soon as I let off it goes back to rough idle with no senors connected, with the sensors connected I do the same thing and my engine does the same rough nasty idle! If I ride the Clutch like a prostitute and give it gas every time I pull it out of gear at a light or stop sign the truck will stay on. Soon as I let off Boom, Boom, Pow engine off.

Last edited:

De Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 ranger and had the same problem. It just started up out of the blue with no warning one day. I could start it but it ran rough, sputtered, backfired, no power, etc. In my case I had just changed the filter a month earlier, have a newish pump, a clean tank and new injectors and the truck was running fine. I bought some gas at a no name station the day before and turns out it was full of water. I confirmed it by draining a gallon out of the tank to look at it.

I put 2 cans of gas treatment in it and it did nothing. I drained the tank, changed the filter and put in 2 bottles of dryer and that took care of it.

If it's a choice between tearing things down and trying a fresh tank of gas I would try the gas first.

Bish0psaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Backfireing, stalling out

ok I did it, and I got another idle control something...sensor.. I donno, Something NEW!!!! now it sounds like my truck is back fireing out of my intake! WTF do I do??

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I should of said what else I did. I have a k&n after market air filter and we took all that off nothing connected and it idle's so rough and if you spray starter fluid in it calms down and as soon as I give it a lil gas it sounds like its back firing and as I hold the throttle down it'll get goin as soon as I let off it goes back to rough idle with no senors connected, with the sensors connected I do the same thing and my engine does the same rough nasty idle! If I ride the Clutch like a prostitute and give it gas every time I pull it out of gear at a light or stop sign the truck will stay on. Soon as I let off Boom, Boom, Pow engine off.

I dont think i fully understand this post

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok I did it, and I got another idle control something...sensor.. I donno, Something NEW!!!! now it sounds like my truck is back fireing out of my intake! WTF do I do??
Did the problem change at all after you replaced the fuel pump? did you change the whole setup in the tank or just the fuel pump. did you check the regulator for fuel in the vacuum line? have you at any point done a pressure test?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the 2nd post asked you about codes. did you ever check for any?

Bish0psaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I posted another thing wrong with the thing There are 3 o2 sensors and one is burnt off at the butt! I asked A LOT of ppl where this wire goes and motor heads from ford could not tell me where my own ass was! So from ranger to ranger I need to know where the wire goes? and I have a video on youtube.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYEpb00ZtmM I took OFF the IAC and put a steel plate in the way, my truck is smooth now, but stalls out again after running for bout 10 mins.

Bish0psaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I took the IAC off and put a piece of plate in the way and my truck smoothed out from a rough idle. But as I drive down the road the truck still likes to shut off when I put it in neutral, but fires right back up!

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I took the IAC off and put a piece of plate in the way and my truck smoothed out from a rough idle. But as I drive down the road the truck still likes to shut off when I put it in neutral, but fires right back up!
if that was my truck i would put the iac back on after cleaning it. imho if you want to try and get the truck running proeprly you need to keep and use all the original parts....... break each issue down and you should be able to get it fixed........but please answer my question about the history of the truck and if it is the original motor

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the code for the air temp sensor is there because they did not put the air temps senor back into the air intake when they changed the cold air intake. Do you have the original air box, if you do I would put it back in until you can get this thing straighten out!!!!..........I can tell you are a beginning because of your brake booster question. best thing to do is keep it simple and try to get it back to original status. imho

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
also look for your engine coolant temp sensor I am not sure where it is on the 95 check that it is there and if it is you might consider changing it out $15. I cant see the other picture very well but maybe it is the engine coolant temp sensor?

*also anytime you change any sensor you want to disconnect the neg battery cable for 20 minutes. this clears out the "keep alive memory"(kam) in the ecu and allows the ecu to reboot with the new/cleaned out sensors.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals