• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 90 Ranger has a wire coming off the positive terminal and I wonder what it was used to power.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thats to ground the ECM properly i believe. Its supposed to hook to the core support

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Somebody replaced the original positive cable with an aftermarket/generic negative cable.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If that cable is on the battery Positive terminal, don't ground the short take-off wire.

That's not an original cable. Being black, it's likely a replacement battery Negative grounding cable, used to replace the original Positive cable (which would have been red). As @rusty ol ranger points out, the battery Negative grounding cable would have a take-off wire to connect to and ground the body.

It looks like the yellow butt connector was never crimped a second time, so probably nothing was ever connected to it in the first place. It's just a case of a "close enough" aftermarket ground or universal cable used to replace a failed original battery Positive cable.

Just leave it be, or tape it up to neaten things. The factory point for constant Positive wire connections don't connect at the battery anyway- they are at the starter relay (solenoid).

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If that cable is on the battery Positive terminal, don't ground the short take-off wire.

That's not an original cable. Being black, it's likely a replacement battery Negative grounding cable, used to replace the original Positive cable (which would have been red). As @rusty ol ranger points out, the battery Negative grounding cable would have a take-off wire to connect to and ground the body.

It looks like the yellow butt connector was never crimped a second time, so probably nothing was ever connected to it in the first place. It's just a case of a "close enough" aftermarket ground or universal cable used to replace a failed original battery Positive cable.

Just leave it be, or tape it up to neaten things. The factory point for constant Positive wire connections don't connect at the battery anyway- they are at the starter relay (solenoid).
Actually after looking closer it looks like someone used a black wire for the postitive. I think i spy a "+" there.

Yeah...if its positive dont ground it :)

I assumed it was negative cause its black. Good thing i wasnt hooking jumper cables.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
It's a replacement cable and they're made that way. People buy the black cables because red cables are more expensive. I don't know really, it's just a sign of the ages.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals