• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 89 Ranger Gt V8 Swapped

Knightrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm new to the forums and trucks but not to cars I already introduced myself so heres my truck

Recently picked her up, I am addressing the rust issues as days go on but thanks to Fay the progress has been slowed down.

I wouldnt call it underconstruction I would consider it more of a restoration or reviving a beat down truck.

***Disclaimer: I did not swap the engine although I have seen/ worked on the truck before it was purchased any tips will be greatly appreciated***

I replaced the K&N filter with the longer version, I had a BBK intake for it but it doesnt fit with the AC box, she's automatic with a B&N shift kit I plan a 5 speed swap but i'm not a dreamer if a deal comes along on a WC T5 it will be mine if not she's still fast with the auto.

Pics added 9/23/08(Cobra rims, TRS decal(10 hp! no lie)

-------------------------------------------------

And the swap:

Working on the Interior

Old and worn 60/40 bench chlorine stained carpet and windsheild leaking smell:

Work in progress fox body mustang buckets/ steering wheel change, some audio upgrades(Carpet to come after leaks are sorted out):

What wheels are on there now:

a little bit on whats to come(I'm looking for some meatier tires since they were on my friends car):

Once the funds are available Im planning to lower the truck with some DJM I beams and 2" coils in the front and a rear flip kit but not sure yet since the rear of the truck sits some what low as is and I want a rake so I dont rub the tires when the 5.0 squats the rear.

also things I plan to change:
side mirrors( most likely back to stock)
removal of all the stickers(for the clean look)
Address rust(the best I can )
Power mods( I have a Cobra intake manifold but Need a GT40 with the bend TB part if anyone is interested in a trade LMK)
Carpet after leaks fixed
red to black interior vynil paint
TheRangerStation.com decal to show miami where to get their ranager info:nopityA:

I'm not sure how much you guys like street rangers but heres mine, love it or hate it I think its a pretty nice truck. any suggestions please LMK I have some little bits to sort out and the truck should look nice. I'm not a show car guy nor a straight track I like drifting but not gonna get too serious with that in this truck I just appreciate some power and styling to go with it.

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I like it.

Looks like you can go much wider on the rear rubber. Rims look too wide for the tires that are on them now.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I like it.

Looks like you can go much wider on the rear rubber. Rims look too wide for the tires that are on them now.
I agree, you could go wider, but, running a 'little bit too skinny' tire like that will improve handling, as the tire cannot 'roll' over the edge of the rim, making corners more predictable and sharper.:D (that is of course, if the tire does not skid)

Last edited:

Knightrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah I think he put some 225/45/R17s on there i've heard stock Cobra's come with a 275? not sure but I"m going to see hwat I can find I already have a pair of 245s to put on just to finish wearing them out but plan to go something a bit wider. thanks for the reply

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
very nice looking truck. the engine bay looks pretty clean for an engine swap, any more pictures of it?

Knightrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

with the optima in and before I swapped the K&N, the Brake booster reservoir has been replaced before anything

Not accurate but the cluster

before I picked her up, sitting for 5+months non-running:

Knightrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
a few new pics added up top any ideas or reccomendations?

ak96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thats a sweet truck! awsome!

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
:agree: badass truck

Knightrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ummmm, time for new springs?

Like I said i'm new to trucks, what makes you say that? what are the signs of worn springs? surface rust? yeah the whole truck has that, but give me some insight?

Knightrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get rid of those honky bolt on overloads.
Honky bolt? overloads?

i'd hate to say i'm gonna have to ask for photoshoped details on that picture to explain what needs to be done... lol sorry I feel like a complete Newb when it comes to trucks. :dunno:

I'm also searching the forums and think my Brake master cylinder is going out. I lost most brake pressure and plan to overhaul my brakes this weekend along with fresh fluids all around attend to the rear end cover leak & try and attack the 5.0 PS leak if $/time is available.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Overload spring is in there in case you have a fat GF and she wants to sit in the bed, or, if your haulin a lot of crap. The honky bolt is holding it on there

Knightrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does this overload spring stiffen/ lift it in any way? the rear end sags already when I stomp the gas, not really trying to have it any more bouncy, It might be there to handle the stress of the 5.0 but not sure

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals