• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 85 bronco 2

Ghost 64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
85 bronco 2
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
First I have to say thank you .my call sign is Ghost64 .I have an 85 bronco 2 w/ 2.8 l v6 4 spd w od.4x4 .it has 95000est miles on it a wore out 4 in rough country lift ,a 92 explorer front axle ,lockers on both front and rear. Here's my problems .the timing,the carb,backfires like crazy ( actually just blow my new muffler apart at the seam)it's leaks oil badly ,the flywheel has two maybe 3 flat spots.i have had starter issues w it for years now,it leaves me stranded constantly when it even starts,.it's a big love hate thing going on ,I live in Yuma Arizona .
I really just want to push it off a cliff but it's paid for and I've got so much time invested .I just need help .
I don't really have alot of money .but I've got time .anyone have one or someone that lives close that can help me get this thing running right .
It's the only transportation I have and I have lost alot of work because of it I've kept it running somewhat but I need a change and mass help

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome to TRS.

If you have a 2.8 and plan on keeping it, you need to consider doing a Duraspark conversion. There's writeups in the Tech section of this website, and a lot of threads in the 2.8L forum (use the "search" feature to find them).

Unfortunately, Duraspark parts are getting scarce (especially the distributor), but the conversion is relatively easy and it eliminates the many problems that the original (and very aged) engine management has.

Basically, if the motor is still reasonably sound (mainly acceptable compression), it can be made to run decently. Leaks can be fixed, and flywheels can be replaced. It really boils down to what you want to do with the truck, and how much of the work you can do or learn to do yourself, or are willing to pay somebody else to do.

This forum is a great place to read up on exactly what you have, and to have questions answered. Your truck sounds like it has lot of issues needing attention, and it might seem overwhelming. Just remember, that the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

Good luck!

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> i have had starter issues w it for years now

If the wrong bolts are used (straight threaded) it will not line up properly, nor load the threads correctly. and if you do a lot of winching in gear, engine off, it will loosen the starter bolts, it recently happened to me on a new starter,

make sure all bell housing bolts are there and tight.

The available after market starters and relays are mostly junk.

i went points, then converted to duraspark ii - blue connector - get the 1.08 v carb. In a high heat area, i would consider sticking to points.

fix the oil leak and make sure timing gears are okay.

go to the 4.0L clutch setup.

if you have a bad cross member, it will effect the drive train and jam the starter. I think one of the first things I did was replace the transfer case mount and cross member. I can't remember, but, I think I used one from an Aerostar? The stock one was all sloppy from the rubber being hogged out.

I have not tried on this vehicle, but, on previous Fords where the threads for the starter were destroyed, I drilled completely through and used a nut on the bolt to secure the starter. You might haveto make a custom fit washer (make twoo - one for the glove box).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals