• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 5.0 Swap Attempt...

bourbon5.0ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 SWAP DONE
Transmission
Automatic
5.0 swap

just got done doing the same swap your doing but mine was in a 4.0 ranger and i used a 98 explorer was wondering if u used a remote oil filter are the one on the 5.0 was told i would need one but mine fit with out relocating it

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Heres an Updated pic of my conversion....Got rid of the ranger radiator and taurus e-fan when I blew a bypass radiator hose and opted to buy an explorer radiator and mechanical fan. There is some drag to the motor but Im running cooler and my AC blows ice cold(makes up for the power loss). Enjoy:

Stimpson.06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Manual
thats awesome! i need to get my swap going preatty soon, but ima going to do carburated nice job though man!

hathewaya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How is she running now? Im about to take a 2000 explorer 5.0 2wd and swap it into my 2000 ranger 3.0 2wd. Wondering just how plug and play it really is.

5.0 Lord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How did you get the motor mounts right my drives side is hitting the steering knuckle and the 5.0 wants to sit at an angle

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How did you get the motor mounts right my drives side is hitting the steering knuckle and the 5.0 wants to sit at an angle

You might need to search "ricksrangerz" on eBay and use his motor mount plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
what all did you use/do to mount it up? If you tried to fit the plates onto the stock mount locations the passenger mount is way too far forward and the motor will sit twisted, it needs to be move back almost two inches if that is what you have done.

And yes, as stated by the poster above, you can just buy the conversion plates for $50 and bolt directly to a set of 4.0 mounts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-up-Ford-Ranger-V8-302-swap-motor-mounts-Original-RicksRangerz-brand-/152046882412?hash=item2366b34e6c:g:0hwAAOSwOddYyDHC

Ryanm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You said you swapped from a 3.0 flex fuel, what did you do about the fuel pressure since it runs lower than 5.0? I have a 99 flex fuel i am about to start swapping

Thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You said you swapped from a 3.0 flex fuel, what did you do about the fuel pressure since it runs lower than 5.0? I have a 99 flex fuel i am about to start swapping

Thanks
Fastpakr just did a 5.0 swap into a FF truck, you might shoot him a pm for the details. I know he changed the fuel pump but I don't know what to and what else he changed.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I know that a PM came into my inbox while I was away on vacation, but now that I'm back I can't find it.

In any case, I did buy a complete 4.0 pump to install. Everything physically mated up, but the wiring connectors and pinouts are different. My solution at the time was to take the original FFV pump side connector and swap it onto the new pump, adjusting the pinout to match the truck in the process. If I'd had the correct connector to do so, I'd have replaced the body side connector instead. After the fact, I discovered that the transfer case connector is a match. If you're willing to hack that up, you could snag the connector from there and swap it onto the truck so that the pump can be replaced easily in the future.

Full disclosure - I haven't finished the swap yet. Keep getting distracted by other things. I'm down to just a few hours of finish up work though. An evening of good weather and minimal distractions might be enough to fire it up.

Ryanm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know that a PM came into my inbox while I was away on vacation, but now that I'm back I can't find it.

In any case, I did buy a complete 4.0 pump to install. Everything physically mated up, but the wiring connectors and pinouts are different. My solution at the time was to take the original FFV pump side connector and swap it onto the new pump, adjusting the pinout to match the truck in the process. If I'd had the correct connector to do so, I'd have replaced the body side connector instead. After the fact, I discovered that the transfer case connector is a match. If you're willing to hack that up, you could snag the connector from there and swap it onto the truck so that the pump can be replaced easily in the future.

Full disclosure - I haven't finished the swap yet. Keep getting distracted by other things. I'm down to just a few hours of finish up work though. An evening of good weather and minimal distractions might be enough to fire it up.
I was wondering the same thing, I know i sent it but then it showed i sent nothing. I was just about to send it again but then i checked here and you replied here haha, are you keeping the explorer transfer case on yours, I am and was wondering if the ranger trans crossmember will work

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm using a part time manual shift case from an F150. The Ranger transmission crossmember is fine for the 4R70W. The transfer case crossmember definitely won't fit the 4406. I haven't looked into alternatives, and I'm not sure on the size difference of the AWD case because my donor was 2WD.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I'm using a part time manual shift case from an F150. The Ranger transmission crossmember is fine for the 4R70W. The transfer case crossmember definitely won't fit the 4406. I haven't looked into alternatives, and I'm not sure on the size difference of the AWD case because my donor was 2WD.
From what I have seen you will have to build a custom one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals