• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 5.0 Swap Attempt...

scubasteve

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Any updates?

Are you keeping a total on expences? I am just curious, thinkin of doing this swap to my trail beater.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WAY cooler than this SBC crap that has been lurking around....

hullnass

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I also am doing a 5.0 swap in my 2000 ford ranger (had a 3.0 flex fuel). I have run into some electrical issues and I was wondering if you could explain in more detail what exacting you did. More specifically how you combined the explorer harness with the rangers. I originally was going to retain the ranger chassis harness up front but one plug (directly behind the power steering reservoir in your pic) wouldnt match up and lacking good enough wiring diagrams to re-wire I opted to switch out the mountaineer chassis harness.

Now I have more issues and am thinking Ill have to switch back. When I try cranking the engine the windshield washing pump kicks on and no starter...
Any idea what that plug actually goes to? I see in your picture it isnt attached to anything; is that how its going to stay? Any help would be great.

Oh, BTW had the same adapter issue but figured out I REALLY need a 7 inch adapter and only 5 in and 9 in are offered. So I had to modify trans crossmember and shorten rear and lengthen front driveshafts.

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Damn, looks good. I can't wait to sell this house so I can do my 5.0 conversition also!

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys, sorry ive been gone for a while... Ive been posting on multiple websites so I lose track on which ones i do lol...

Thanks for all the kind words... I drove the truck with absolutely no issues. Runs great, I just need a few more things to do and ill be officially done with the swap!

Hullnass: To answer your question. The ranger plug under the brake master cylinder what you are talking about wont mate up to the explorer harness. Not a problem, just take your ranger harness and plug it back up and combine it with the explorer battery cables. The ranger battery harness(which plugs into that plug under the brake MC) will plug into everything(starter, alt, and AC) the explorer harness will. You will have to extend one wire though(well i had to anyway). The yellow wire that runs to your starter needs to be extended. Other than that nothing else needs modifying. Maybe that will solve your electrical problems.

And with the Advance Adapter. I WISHHHHH they made a 7 inch adapter because I have run into the same issues. I had to cut some of the tranny crossmember and lengthen the rear drive shaft and shorten the front. Not a big deal but I was kinda hoping I didnt have to do so. Looks like the Adapter clocks your Transfercase just a tad downward than when it was on the 3.0 tranny which sucks but nothing a little metal fabrication cant fix!! Ill supply pics in a few when i gather them further

Ill also have to edit some of my first post so i can Fill you guys in on some of the modifications that arent said in some of the articles out there!

Last edited:

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
BLING

Heres it installed along with the TIGHT fitting Taurus EFAN!!!!

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the difference in sizes of the Advance Adapters. 5in and 9in.

And here's the 5in test fitment(check out the 2wd output shaft, HUGE):

Last edited:

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had to chop off 1/4inch of the transfer case's input shaft because the size of the new output shaft on the transmission was so tiny it was a must to fit this T/C on the transmission. It also stated it in the directions AA gave me when they shipped the adapter kit. Dont worry, i cleaned that up a lot after taking the pic lol

Here's the remains of the input shaft of the T/C

Exhaust mounted

T/C mounted

I had to cut some of the Crossmember in order to fit the Front Drive Shaft. The adapter sits alittle lower than what it was before on my 3.0... Oh well, custom always results in modifing something else. Go figure.

And here is some random stuff

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The clearance isnt hindered too much but still.. eh i may leave it for now, it aint hurtin anything... If i were at stock height and no body lift or Superlift, the exhaust would be sitting about flush where the Torsion bars would be located at.

RAWWWWWWWR

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the location of my Fan controller AND Relay... Running a 30 amp circuit breaker, 10 gauge wire and 80Amp relay. Running the high side, ill probably hook up the 2 speed later down the road but we will see how this works first!

Last edited:

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a Clip of when I only had 2 cats hooked up and it dumped right behing the transmission...

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok got the truck back and I must say, it cleared up alot of craziness i was dealing with while driving it to the exhaust shop... Running open headers really takes a blow to your motors performance, It stinks and it smoked a little bit. Not anymore though :) Well they did an awesome job and the truck runs pretty much flawless now.

Motor runs STRONG, Transmission shifts PERFECTLY, and it sounds great!!! This truck is truely bad@$$....

Im gonna consider this swap COMPLETE.

Now on to some pics:

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I still need to button up my truck some like put the front bumper back on and install my new Diff cover and other little stuff but inside the engine bay in COMPLETE. :) I hope this thread helps you all out in your future swaps

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow that things beast as hell nice swap

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals