• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My $3,500 Jaguar - The 'Mad Jag'

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Jags are a nice looking vehicle. I’ll be nice and just leave it at that.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
How's the Jag doing lately?

Bobber64

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
FYI... The ‘98-11 long bed Ranger wheelbase is pretty close, if you’re interested in making it better.
Yup I’m thinking air ride 4-link front and rear with at least 6” of lift.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
How's the Jag doing lately?
I had to reattach the hood ornament because the wire that holds it rusted and broke. Had to run a new wire through the ornament, down through the hood, through a spring, through a round dish type spring retainer used to hold the back pins in drum brakes, and then crimped on a wire holder that slides up the wire.

Actually been driving it this past weekend. It's the first time I've driven it in months.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I'm very happy you bought that! I've been eyeing this era Jag for 15 years. The last time I was in the market for one I chickened out and got a Grand Marquis. I'm thinking about it again for my 4 door ride. According to the florida prices I'm seeing, you got a heckova deal on that!

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm very happy you bought that! I've been eyeing this era Jag for 15 years. The last time I was in the market for one I chickened out and got a Grand Marquis. I'm thinking about it again for my 4 door ride. According to the florida prices I'm seeing, you got a heckova deal on that!
The handicap tag is more appropriate on the Mercury.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Adding A Backup Camera To My 2005 Jaguar XJ8:

I've been driving this quite a bit lately.

I installed a backup camera but didn't want to use the suction cup mount on the windshield, and there wasn't room on the console because I have a mount there for my phone, so I stuck it to the dash with heavy duty Velcro.

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_110.JPG

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_120.JPG

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_130.JPG

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_140.JPG

The camera bracket sits behind the plate with the camera hanging over it.

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_105.JPG

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_100.JPG

The camera wire goes up into the trunk lid, goes through a rubber wire loom into the trunk, through a gromet in the center where I ran my antenna wire, and then follows the carpet trim panel along the driver side to the dash.

The power wiring proved to be a bit complicated.

Most vehicle lighting is grounded and comes on when you apply power. Jaguar for some reason sends power to the lights, and then activates it by grounding it.

The Orange and Green wire is the backup wire, but it's always hot (+). Once the car is put in reverse this wire is grounded (-).

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_160.JPG

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_150.JPG

To solve this problem, I used a relay. I didn't come up with this. I found this on a Jaguar forum.

This is how a relay normally works.

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_200.JPG

This is how I wired the relay on the Jaguar. This doesn't seem like it should work, but it does.

Relay:

30 To Brown / Green Wire (Tail Light)
86 To Brown / Green Wire (Tail Light)
85 To Orange / Green Wire (Backup Wire)
87 To Camera

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_210.JPG

It seems wrong to have power going to (85) when it's supposed to be a ground. It seems wrong to have power on both sides of the coil (86 & 85). I used a relay with a built-in fuse holder.

When the car is put into reverse, the Orange / Green wire (85) grounds the relay and sends power through (87) to turn on the camera.

So, when I prepared the relay, the two yellow wires are going to attach to the cars Brown / Green wire with a wiretap, and the white wire is going to the cars Orange / Green wire. The power wire for the camera will go to the empty prong (87) on the relay.

In case you noticed, there's marks from a marker on one of the yellow wires. Sometimes I put hash marks with a permanent marker on a wire so I can use it and tell it apart from the other wire of the same color.

2005_jaguar_xj8_rear_backup_camera_170.JPG

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Adding A Backup Camera To My 2005 Jaguar XJ8:

I've been driving this quite a bit lately.

I installed a backup camera but didn't want to use the suction cup mount on the windshield, and there wasn't room on the console because I have a mount there for my phone, so I stuck it to the dash with heavy duty Velcro.

The camera bracket sits behind the plate with the camera hanging over it.

The camera wire goes up into the trunk lid, goes through a rubber wire loom into the trunk, through a gromet in the center where I ran my antenna wire, and then follows the carpet trim panel along the driver side to the dash.

The power wiring proved to be a bit complicated.

Most vehicle lighting is grounded and comes on when you apply power. Jaguar for some reason sends power to the lights, and then activates it by grounding it.

The Orange and Green wire is the backup wire, but it's always hot (+). Once the car is put in reverse this wire is grounded (-).
To solve this problem, I used a relay. I didn't come up with this. I found this on a Jaguar forum.

This is how a relay normally works.
This is how I wired the relay on the Jaguar. This doesn't seem like it should work, but it does.

Relay:

30 To Brown / Green Wire (Tail Light)
86 To Brown / Green Wire (Tail Light)
85 To Orange / Green Wire (Backup Wire)
87 To Camera

It seems wrong to have power going to (85) when it's supposed to be a ground. It seems wrong to have power on both sides of the coil (86 & 85). I used a relay with a built-in fuse holder.

When the car is put into reverse, the Orange / Green wire (85) grounds the relay and sends power through (87) to turn on the camera.

So, when I prepared the relay, the two yellow wires are going to attach to the cars Brown / Green wire with a wiretap, and the white wire is going to the cars Orange / Green wire. The power wire for the camera will go to the empty prong (87) on the relay.

In case you noticed, there's marks from a marker on one of the yellow wires. Sometimes I put hash marks with a permanent marker on a wire so I can use it and tell it apart from the other wire of the same color.

I do this all the time. The coil on most ice cube relays are not polarity sensitive. I even use them to trigger 110 loads. In our tour bus builds. Our 12v lighting system has channels for block heat, coach charger and bay heat. Ibground 85 and send 12v trigger to 86. The break the 110v line feeding these loads across 30 and 87. But most backup systems I deal with all have a negative trigger for some reason. So I have to do the same. Canadian buses, hahaha. Man if you ever have any questions about that kinda stuff feel free to reach out. I'm always up to help out.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, makes sense, the control side of most relays other than some special automotive types just have a resistor in parallel with the magnet coil for flyback, some engine computers or control stuff needs a diode instead of a resistor which is the only reason 85 and 86 would be polarity sensitive. 30 and 87 or 87A are only directional when you are using 87A or you are really getting creative switching things on and off... The switch contacts are rated to more voltage than the control side as mentioned above...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals