• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 2008 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my Ranger last February, being a ex fleet vehicle (power truck) I got a very good deal on it. Also being assembled at the twin cites plant made it kind of cool knowing the last ranger came from there. Anyways, When I first got it it had some Firestone destinations on it. Which where just about useless for what I do (forestry) So I waited until the spring and bought a new set of shoes for it. They are a 265 75 16 Retread a exact copy of a cooper mud-terrain. They work amazing, if you don't mind road noise.

I am trying to find the original pictures of when I first bought it, but being the first nice thing I have ever owned:yahoo: the excitement of driving it around overrode the picture taking:bawling:

I tinted the windows myself (don't ask where i summoned the patients for this project) I went 5% in the back, and in the spring I may tint the sides maybe 50% or something light as it is illegal to have tint on the side windows (front).

So far the only thing I have done to the truck, is the air box mod with a K&N drop in filter. I can actually notice a bit of difference down low. And with my foot out of it the mileage was a bit better....(until the new tires went on). I bought a set of sliverstar lights for it until I can find some HID's that fit my taste (looking for a pure white).

Here are some pictures (I will try to get them in order) They start off from the tire shop before the new tires went on, then when I got home. Then when I cranked the torsion bars up (the tires did clear without the crank front and back) And finally the last pic showing it is possibly to get a full size ATV (03 Arctic cat 500 4x4) in the back of our trucks, even with my tires.:icon_hornsup:

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

There is a cleaned up picture of how it sits as of right now.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I decided to remove my sway bar and see for myself as some people say it makes the truck handle to sloppy etc. I removed the whole thing, I can't get over how heavy that thing is for such a small truck. I already have my torsion bars cranked up so anything to give me some more "give" in the front end would be welcomed.

I took the truck for a drive on my normal route, mixed with some highway. I find the truck handles great, the bumps are no longer felt in your spine, and I always felt the steering on the truck was very touchy which I didn't care for. The truck doesn't nose dive or anything like that. It honestly drives more like a half tonne.

I took it off road to get a feel for it, I noticed right away the "side to side rock" was gone, no more getting tossed around like your in a washing machine when you are wheeling. And I have a good amount of extra travel too.

After this I decided to take the truck on the highway, I purposely did a quick lane change to see how bad the roll would be, and I did notice SOME body roll but not near enough to make it feel like the truck will get away on you. All this was done at 65-70mph

Overall I wish I did this before, the truck is no longer a pain to drive around. I would recommend anyone to give it a try.

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
What all is involved in removing the sway bar? I've noticed a few people doing it recently.

What else do you have planned for the truck?

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I actually took some pictures to explain, just never botherd putting them on.

Here you can see the sway bar link, It is a 16mm on the top and a 15mm deep socket on the bottom.

After you loosing the nut off, the long bolt will just pull out with some wiggling.

Below is the actual bushings\mounts that hold the bar on the frame. I would recommend taking both links off before touching these. As with the weight of the bar it is just easier to pop the links off without the added weight of the sway bar hanging off of them.

And that's it, I doubt I will ever go back with it. The truck handles perfectly for me as of right now.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As for plans with the truck, I am putting in a 3 inch suspension lift this winter. I am also replacing the whole front end with Moog as the truck has been used so everything is starting to show some wear, and the added height of the A arms will just speed up the process.

I plan to replace the headlights and fogs with HID's but I am trying to find something that is pure white. A lot of ricers around here have the blue ones so I want to try and set myself apart.

After that I am going to get a catback for it, probably in the spring as the winter will just ruin it anyway.

I have the airbox mod done to it now, with a drop in K&N. It has a good sound but like anything you want more! But with the 300 dollar price tag:icon_surprised: on most cold air intake units, its pretty steep.

I am also planning to swap the rear end out of a FX4 into my truck, for the obvious 4.10 gears and traclock. But I also want rear disc brakes, as I hate drum brakes:annoyed:

Lots more in the works,like a good programmer and getting a few tunes from JD Racing. I Plan to drive this ole girl until it can't move anymore so Im going to make it fun.

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Id love to do the FX4 rear swap but its impossible to find a rear.

Can't wait to see the progress on the truck. Sounds like she's gonna be a fun build.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I am finally going to order the lift parts for my truck. I am getting the extended shackles plus the 3 inch lift blocks. And aftermarket keys. As for shocks I am still not sure as to what I am getting, Does anyone know the stock length of the shocks stock on these trucks? I also have 2 new lower moog ball joints on order right now.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I tinted my front windows today, I went with 35%. I will have pictures up tomorrow as the truck is covered in mud at the moment.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here are some pictures of the truck with the tint and just screwing around on my way to work. I also put GE Nighthawk 9005 bulbs in my fog lights. It made a huge difference, I might not even bother getting HID's now.

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I like it!

Looks like NS finally got some snow? Its already been to -18 in Calgary

Is it a standard? If so I may have an FX4 shifter for sale if.you're interested.

Last edited:

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sadly it is automatic.. for now :D. And yes it was kind of unexpected.. as it was supposed to be rain. Now its going up to +13 and 20-30mm of rain tomorrow :S

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My lift came in today, I am very impressed as I ordered it this time last week! (supreme suspensions) I have a picture of the kit I will post shortly for anyone interested. I am in the process as we speak of changing my lower ball joint's. I am on a brake as I broke down and sent the women to Napa to get me ball joint press kit.

On another note I went on rock auto today to purchase my longer shocks for my truck only to find out they are on wholesale clear out and there is only 1 left :( I don't know any other good site for shocks that ship to Canada? If I can't find any online I will be forced to buy them at a local chain which will set me back about 340+ :|

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 3" bl and brand new rear Rancho xl9000 shocks for sale.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How much for the rear shocks, you can pm me if you would like. Where they ever used?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals