• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 2003 Ranger Regular cab 5 speed

Truckman58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter 4r cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Help! I have a fuel injected, 2.3 liter With Manual Tranny and in any gear under load, at any RPM under 2000, it has no power, over 2k and it acts a little hesitant, but goes up somewhat normally, I suspect it is a vacuum advance problem, but this engine is fuel injected, and I can't see quite where the vacuum advance is derived, and the sticker is there but is not too helpful..does anyone have an image or diagram showing this sub-system?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Almost reads like a clogged up exhaust system.
You can test for this with a vacuum gauge.
Or have someone rev the engine while you feel the exhaust flow out the tail pipe, not too exact, lol, but sometimes you can feel the flow is not matching the rev ups.
Cat converters can start falling apart inside which slows exhaust flow, this back pressure prevents intake fuel/air mix from coming all the way into a cylinder, as RPMs go up so does back pressure, you are not getting all the new fuel mix and so it just limits rpm from going higher quickly.

Sparking timing is done by the computer so is more exact than vacuum advance systems.
This is usually done by using a Cam sensor, so computer knows exactly where each piston is relative to it's TDC(compression stroke)

If you have a timing light you can hook that up to #1 spark plug and see if timing is changing when engine is revved up.

Could also be fuel pressure.
Pressure at the fuel rail/injectors should be 60psi, if fuel filter is clogged up this can lower pressure, and cause limited power.
Also fuel pump could be going out.
Fuel filter is about $10, so if you have no history on this truck then I would just change it as preventive maintenance.
If you can rent or have a fuel pressure tester it might help diagnose the problem.

Last edited:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I'd try out the fuel system first. Sounds similar to my problem, which was a clogged filter.

The MAF sensor could also be dirty, though this is a problem usually not prevalent during the summer months. Take off your MAF sesnor near your air intake box/filter, spray it with cleaner, and replace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals