• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 2.8 build. Chat away.

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
FORD COLOGNE 2.8l 171ci V6
1972-1986 compatible

Will fit in Capri, Mustang, Bobcat, Ranger, Bronco II, Pinto and others.

Block is from 1973-1978 Capri
Heads from 1983-1986 Ranger

This engine has had EXTENSIVE prep work done to increase performance everywhere.

Alignment honed mains
Bored .060" over
New pistons Silvo-lite
New piston rings(file to fit each bore)
Rods lightened shot peened
ARP rod bolts
New cam,rod,main bearings all around
Block decked to match each side to side
New water pump
New thermostat in bypass
Deburred inside and out
Epoxy on oil drain back areas (the orange color)
High temp engine paint used(ford blue, gloss black, cast iron gray)
Clevite bearing gaurd assembly, ARP assembly, Comp cams break in paste and 50wt Lucas racing oil used during build.

Heads have been ported
Combustion chamber cc matched side to side
Massive +5mm SI swirl polished stainless steel valves were custom fitted(HUGE!!!!)
Hardened exhaust seats
Machined for viton type racing valve stem seals
Racing type multi-angle valve job and bowl hogging to get rid of the exhaust chamber "bumps"

Rotating assembly fully balanced. New Valeo Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate also balanced and available. Balanced to spin to 6500rpm.

New Cloyes timing gears.

Comp camshaft(36-241-4), lifters(835), pushrods(7836) and springs(906). Largest cam lift Comp makes for this engine, .428 lift both intake and exhaust. (Part numbers)

With heads surfaced and block deck compression should be closer to 10-1.

Have offenhauser 4bbl intake, HEI modded Duraspark II harness and Vacumm advance Dura Spark II Distributor, Ranger 5speed(Mazda) trans, T-5 bellhousing(no trans) and other option available.

Many other special little processes done to this engine. Quality gaskets, High Volume oil pump, new high flow oil pump pickup and more.

Not sure if I am going to use this(California emissions so have to play it funny) or unload it for someone to enjoy. If you are interested lets talk. Have more pics just got to find them all.

Attachments

Last edited:

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
Is it assembled or in pieces? If its in pieces I'd imagine you'll have a hell of a time selling it for what its worth.

If its assembled, throw it on an engine stand and have it ready to start for a prospective buyer. Although you couldn't break it in free revving on a stand...

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
Its longblocked on a stand(added a photo). Pan/pump and intake is off. Can install intake(offey 4bbl or stock ranger) and pump(regular or HV) of choice and its ready to go. There is a craiglist ad in Los Angeles was thinking of doing an ebay post. I have an extra core ranger engine (std) and a set of Cane Dual springs/lifters and a Racer Walsh street/race cam for larger bore sitting on the shelf. Could make another short block or longblock kit for someone.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Trump just smacked California on their emissions standards, so you might wait a little while to see what happens with that...

https://www.msnbc.com/velshi-ruhle/watch/trump-revokes-california-s-waiver-on-car-emissions-69264965927

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/09/18/epa-donald-trump-revokes-california-waiver-set-auto-emissions-standards-watt-lklv-ath-vpx.cnn

"CNN's Nick Watt reports that President Donald Trump announced he is revoking California's authority to set its own vehicle emission standards."

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
I can't fix that, cause my docs says I got bone spurs in my tiny hands. "donny the twitter mechanic"

Unfortunately this buffoon is trying to make more profits for the oil companies. Fortunately, the free market is pushing most people into e-cars and hybrids faster than the car companies can make them. His foreign policy in the middle east will only increase the e-car and hybrid demand once you see the new "normal" gas prices in the near future. He also only rolled back shit because it was written under Obama. Basically he is changing the future emissions averages for a company producing vehicles, not retroactively changing/getting rid of them on my older car. What is most likely to happen once this inbred is out of office, this will be reversed by 46 and now that its illegal for a state to set the standards, the country as a whole will be put under what is now CA and NY type future emission laws(revisit this post in 2024). Republicans are all fully against the government making the rules for states, there whole agenda and party is about states rights, however since this happened under Obama they go against all political history and make it a federal law not a state law. This is how you know Trump doesn't care what the policy is, if it happened under Obama he is down to revoke/destroy it. OHHHHH and if you don't like that OBAMA stuff I mentioned, Bush wrote in very similar emissions laws about 3 times during his presidency all about a states rights to regulate the car companies overall average emissions for future production being sold in said state.

My .02$

Attachments

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I can't fix that, cause my docs says I got bone spurs in my tiny hands. "donny the twitter mechanic"

Unfortunately this buffoon is trying to make more profits for the oil companies. Fortunately, the free market is pushing most people into e-cars and hybrids faster than the car companies can make them. His foreign policy in the middle east will only increase the e-car and hybrid demand once you see the new "normal" gas prices in the near future. He also only rolled back shit because it was written under Obama. Basically he is changing the future emissions averages for a company producing vehicles, not retroactively changing/getting rid of them on my older car. What is most likely to happen once this inbred is out of office, this will be reversed by 46 and now that its illegal for a state to set the standards, the country as a whole will be put under what is now CA and NY type future emission laws(revisit this post in 2024). Republicans are all fully against the government making the rules for states, there whole agenda and party is about states rights, however since this happened under Obama they go against all political history and make it a federal law not a state law. This is how you know Trump doesn't care what the policy is, if it happened under Obama he is down to revoke/destroy it. OHHHHH and if you don't like that OBAMA stuff I mentioned, Bush wrote in very similar emissions laws about 3 times during his presidency all about a states rights to regulate the car companies overall average emissions for future production being sold in said state.

My .02$

Oh look.. Another California NPC..

Show us on the doll where the evil, racist orange man hurt you

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
The pocket book of my former employees(about 30%, from white collar to blue collar jobs) and dealers of a company I contract work for the tone of about $750,000. This company produces/assembles products in China from globally sourced parts. This cost will l be passed along to the american consumers 100%.

Another company I do contract work for has seen an increase in steel and aluminum at about 17%, which will be added to government and consumer contracts across the board. This company has lost about 18% of employees and does government contracts which now all tax payers will see an increase on those contract of about 25-40% to prepare for future instability and uncertainty. The annual increase in costs they will see is about $12 million.

I am lucky and in a position above most other standard employees, this is why I have not been affected much. I also work with extreme conservatives(hot rod guys) to those Cali Tesla/Prius drivers so I have to bend around things all the time when I run into the uniformed or mis-informed since I'm kinda all over the map politically.

My answers have been direct with facts supporting my opinions and relevant to the previous replies.

I'll keep the convo about engines and emissions. You can post your memes and videos with no facts or rebuttal i will take it all in stride.

Happy motoring!

OH, and the above engine has the Truck crank and rods. 83-86

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
"I run into the uniformed or mis-informed"

That's funny right there...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I so want to give my opinion on the current political posturing on both sides of the border....but that like screaming into a tropical storm...
I think this forum is a good example of people of all political stripes getting together and helping each other. Let's all try to remember why we come to this forum; to give and receive help...and sometimes give a noogie....deserved or not.
Try to leave politics out of it. I know its hard, you just want the other guy to realize how wrong he is....don't do it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I so want to give my opinion on the current political posturing on both sides of the border....but that like screaming into a tropical storm...
I think this forum is a good example of people of all political stripes getting together and helping each other. Let's all try to remember why we come to this forum; to give and receive help...and sometimes give a noogie....deserved or not.
Try to leave politics out of it. I know its hard, you just want the other guy to realize how wrong he is....don't do it.

Eh? Posturing on the border?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trajan...

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
Vermin Supreme 2020, he wants to take away your guys, and give you better ones :thefinger:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Vermin Supreme 2020, he wants to take away your guys, and give you better ones :thefinger:
Fucking love that guy.

It's Cthulhu for me in 2020. #NoLivesMatter

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals