• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1998 ranger swap

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so I did this swap awhile ago and have since sold my truck :sad: so I'm posting this before I forget any details of the all the mods I did. Also I'll be starting a new thread for my next project which will be a ground up build of an 88 ranger. But ultimately I'm hoping to answer questions to others possibly doing a similar project. First off I'll run through everything I did and I'll post some pics after my rant. So first off my truck was a 1998 ford ranger xlt with the stepside bed. My donor vehicle was a 1997 mountaineer.I rebuilt and cleaned the block, ported the heads and manifolds and replaced all the gaskets and seals. Now for the exhaust... I didn't have room in my budget for torque monster headers and I wasn't going to choke my engine with those stock explorer tube headers so with the help of my brother we fabricated tube headers using 1 and 5/8 inch tubing and into a 3 in collector. We ran the exhaust out through the wheel wells and then outside of the frame rails and bologna sliced them off in front my back tires. Now I know many of you will get on my case but I deleted the four wheel drive components on my truck. I dropped the front diff and switched the front spindles to 2wd explorer spindles. I bought a 2wd tailhousing and tail shaft and switched those in and then had a new driveshaft made. My followed the tech article for the swap for the most. Helped a lot overall. I'll gather all my pics I have and will post them in a little bit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals