Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
Hello everyone, I wanted to show you guys my first motorcycle, an XT225 enduro. Last summer I acquired it, and it has been a fun bike to ride. I live in a rural area, so driving up and down ditches on gravel roads is a good way to pass the time. Last year towards the end of the summer I had changed the oil and took it out on the highway. It reached 60mph, then lost all forward power. The motor was still turning, and when given throttle I could tell it was being loaded, but no forward inertia at ALL. It slowed to 0mph, I pulled off, and it promptly died. Had my sister bring my pickup out to me and got it home. Ripped the head off and it seemed fine, so I tore the cylinder off and inspected the rod and piston. Clutch was good, crank turned super smooth, no slag/streaks/marks in/on the cylinder wall, and the piston/rings was dirty but okay.

I came to the conclusion I couldn't find the issue, and I didn't want to split the crank case/trans unit. I sorta just... gave up for the winter. I left it wide open with no rags covering it in the garage, for about 7 months. I finally decided it was going to run or be sold cheap, so I got a gasket set, resealed and reinstalled the engine, cleaned the carb, and added a small amount of fuel to the tank. Started up after about 15 seconds of cranking. I did not know what was going on, it didn't make sense to me that it broke, didn't get fixed, and suddenly started working. BUT, while filling the tank full for a road test, I found the issue. Fuel fouling via rust and water. I didn't believe that could have been the issue, because of how it died on the road. At the end of the road test (3 miles), I gave it a few pulls, and suddenly burnt oil and white smoke! I was 100 feet form the drive so I pulled in, shut it off, and saw I had forgotten to tighten the valve covers....

It runs like a dream now, and had a gasket set on at 2800 miles, so even though it was a dream before, it runs like a dream now. My father bought a Super Tenere and we plan on trying to make it to some offroad riding in Nevada next summer. If I make any adjustments or repairs I'll keep this thread up to date
xt.jpg

Attachments

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 248EE46702D889 Expires: October 1, 2019

Uncle Gump

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead, Follow or get out of my way
I had dirt bikes in my youth and had a ton of fun on them. When gas went crazy high in price years ago... I bought a used DR 650 to combat the hugh price with fuel economy. Fixed it up... got my endorsement... plated and insured it... then realized that I could just not get comfortable driving it down the road. It wasn't my skills so much as the people I shared the road with. Thought I would just keep it for bombing around off road... nope... was comfortable with that either (the DR650 was a tank to run through the woods). So I sold it. Hopefully you enjoy it... looks like a clean bike.

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
I really do enjoy it because it is such a small engine/bike, and i'm not the smallest guy out there, which leads to some real "manhandling" steering tendencies. If it were heavier (like that DR650) I wouldn't have as much control I think. I do not feel comfortable on this bike in traffic (partly because it doesn't enjoy going above 55mph, it will hit 80 though) because I feel like i'm on a bicycle in the middle of the road, just not enough sustenance.

Uncle Gump

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo