• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1992 Ford Ranger is stuck! Please help!

CaliRanger1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here's the story. On the way to my girlfriend's house tonight, I started up my 1992 Ranger "Red Fury" in the garage, pulled the emergency brake lever, and shifted into reverse. However, it didn't want to go backward. It didn't want to go forward either when I tried. I ruled out a possible transmission problem because it was shifting and biting excellent in all gears. I'm guessing the e-brake might be stuck, or could it be something even larger (I hope not).

Do RBV's freuqently have brake problems like the E-brake sticking? If it is a brake problem, how do you treat it?

For now, getting this problem fixed is the least of my worries. First, I have to find a way to get it out of my tiny garage and onto a tow truck. :shok:

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sometimes you can reach under where the cable goes into the drum and wiggle it loose. If not your taking the rear drums off.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
jack up the truck and see which wheels are locked.that will point you in the right direction.did nothing happen when you pulled the ebrake lever?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
this happened to me too. only one side though and i on some slush so i just kept dropping the clutch till it broke loose. i think what caused mine was some ice that was getting in the cable line or in the mechanism.

i would only recommend this as a last resort because it is extremely abusive to the tranny,clutch and truck in general.

if the brakes are stuck, good luck getting the drums off or messing with the adjusters.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
this happened to me too. only one side though and i on some slush so i just kept dropping the clutch till it broke loose. i think what caused mine was some ice that was getting in the cable line or in the mechanism.

i would only recommend this as a last resort because it is extremely abusive to the tranny,clutch and truck in general.

if the brakes are stuck, good luck getting the drums off or messing with the adjusters.
i had to do the same thing last winter, damn near burned out my clutch in the driveway. i'm pretty sure it was the ebrake cable icing up.

CaliRanger1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
jack up the truck and see which wheels are locked.that will point you in the right direction.did nothing happen when you pulled the ebrake lever?
I owe you one, man. :pray: I actually fixed this problem using your advice. I jacked up my truck, and my left rear wheel was the one seized up. Then, I took a rubber mallot and smacked the back of the wheel. It unfroze it right away.

BTW, the e-brake cable clicked on and off as it should have.

JCard

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
my moms explorer used to do this when ever she would put the E-brake on I think there was rust on the cable from not using it much. All she did to fix it was drive forward and backwards until it freed up seemed to work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals