• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1990 Mustang SSP Project

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I recently purchased a 1990 Special Service Package (SSP) Ford Mustang from a guy in St. Louis. Ford built these cars from 1982-1993. They were only available for law enforcement agencies to order in 1983. The 1982 cars were California Highway Patrol only.

Here is a photo of the buck tag on the core support:

You can see where it has Frisco Police stamped on it. The car was a special order specifically for Frisco Texas Police.

This car is one of two projects I have going on this year. My plan is to restore it back to it's original in-service condition.

The car had a hard life. It was wrecked a couple of times the first year FPD had it. One of the female officers said it had "too much power for such a little car". At some point it had a major mechanical failure that left parts laying on the highway. The car was eventually retired from being a white traffic car, painted black, and given to the detectives to drive.

The car was eventually sold and changed hands a few times. When I got it there was no longer a motor or transmission in it. There isn't ANYTHING under the hood except for some wiring. Even the heater box is gone.

I noticed that the inner fender aprons look like they've been buckled, and the front core support is definitely tweeked. The wheelbase seems to match on both sides, but when I measured from opposite axle corners on both sides, the drivers side came up 1/4" shorter than then passenger side. I want to take it to a body shop and have them check the frame/unibody and see if it needs straightened before I start working on it.

I also need a new radiator core support. I'm definitely not looking forward to replacing it. The front inner fender aprons I can get new for $150 a pair.

So far I've bought a 5.0L/Auto transmission from a 1990 Lincoln Mark VII to go in it. I need to find all the A/C parts and heater box. A junk yard will gouge me. I need to find someone who's removed this stuff on their drag car.

I was under the car last night. It's super clean. No rust anywhere on this car.

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
definately lookin forward to seein some progress on this.

1ATony

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I like those old cruiser cop cars.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
VERY COOL! I was about to ask if you'd bought one Jim. I look forward to watching this project.

Mine has a slightly buckled inner apron too. It actually throws my hood to fender alignment off a pinch. I actually need to realign things the way I had them when I took it in to be painted.

The core supports are still available new. Just an FYI that the 90-93 are different than the older ones. I believe it has something to do with the air bag sensors, but I'm not 100% positive.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-16138A/90-93-Mustang-Radiator-Core-Support

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I remember as a kid reading an old copy of something like Car & Driver magazine where they went on a ride-a-long with a sheriff in a similiar car. He mentioned 5th gear was too tall, as there was never enough open hwy to wind it out in top gear. Also said most people where intimidated by it as it took nothing for it to show up in their rear view mirror so they pulled over before it led to a chase.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
He mentioned 5th gear was too tall, as there was never enough open hwy to wind it out in top gear.
This is exactly why one of the most popular mods is a lower ratio gear set. I really felt 5th gear wasn't all that useful until I was in the 70-75 mph range. Going from my factory 2.73 to a 3.55 helped that out. There have been several times when I wish I'd done 3.73's instead, but the 3.55's are a great all around gear for a 5 speed.

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
I am definately going to keep track of this build. Good luck Jim!:icon_thumby::icon_hornsup:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Jim, I just thought you may like to check out this site. It's a great source for wiring diagrams and pinouts on the ECU and sensors, etc.

EDIT: Forgot to add it also has vacuum diagrams

http://www.veryuseful.com/

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Today I sorted through the parts that came with the car and took some 'before' photos.

There is something I need input on:

You can see where someone had welded in a motor mount on the drivers side. You can see where it's missing from the passenger side. Is there anything there that's missing, or been cut away, that the factory motor mount bolts to? I need to remove the one on the drivers side, I just wasn't sure if the factory mount bolted in to the spot I have circled below, or if something else is missing.

KMRS87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a fox coupe in my driver sitting if you need any references altho mines a 4cyl turbo so its not much help. but that being said the passenger side is correct an the mount welded to the driver side has to be removed. the hole an slot are whats used with the factory mounts.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You aren't missing anything. The motor mounts go right on those perches.

Here's a pic of the factory vs. tubular:

I'm not sure why the hell someone would weld anything there. There's a lot easier ways of having a solid mount.

BTW, when you get mounts, get some for a convertible. They are stronger than the coupe/hb mounts.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I think one of the biggest things I'm going to need is the whole heater/ac box for the firewall. Mine is missing.

I'm also missing the vent (blue) in the center of the dash. Someone took it out to put some gauges in there.

And for some reason, the nut that holds the steering wheel is missing. Vanessa got in it to steer while I pushed it out of the garage, and when she held the steering wheel to pull the seat forward, the steering wheel came off. Where do I get that???

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
there was a loose nut behind the wheel?

i would head to the local yard for the needed parts jim....k member box and nut....gauge deal may be hard to get as many do that.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I was looking around on Ebay and found this heater box. It doesn't have the core or condenser, but you probably want that new anyway. It says it's in Tiffin Ohio.....I don't know how close that is to you. Even if you have it shipped, it's a pretty decent deal for 66 dollars shipped (to my zip code).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTANG-HEAT-AC-CONTROL-BOX-DUCT-WITHOUT-CORE-COND-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aMustangQQhashZitem3cb47725d9QQitemZ260725745113QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals