• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MY 1990 4.0 ranger and a new header to tail exhaust

T_creekmore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so im wanting to build a exhaust for my 90 4.0 ranger. Its a 2x4 and im looking for a cali legal header. after that my exhaust guy is building my full exhaust y pipe to tail. Now he tells me i should do a 2.5 threw the whole thing. Does this sound like a good size? I trust him i just worry because this truck is my baby and i dont want her to be hurt in any way. If anyone thinks different please give your opinion. thanks for everyone's help.

T_creekmore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so mtnrgr you vote i should do a cat back system with a 2.5 piping? as for a cat i want to replace it because it is 20 years old and never replaced. I know this because this was my uncles truck since new. also should i make it a 2.5 pipe also or keep it factory?

T_creekmore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
any other possible options?

T_creekmore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
okay so 2.5 cat and cat back, also i want to run a series 10 flowmaster. i loved it on my chevy and think it would sound even better on a ford :headbang:

oh and it will be dumped of right in front of the axel

T_creekmore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
okay sounds good. any other opinions options people have done? Not trying to say you are wrong mtnrgr. Just possibly looking for other opinions. hope im not stepping on toe's
thanks everyone

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
How did it go, did you find a good header?

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi, MSGia, that post was 12 years old, doubt you’ll get a reply.

:)
-Jazzer

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, old thread but common question

There is a lot of MYTH-conceptions about exhaust systems, lol

Scavenging exhaust systems have been around since late 1950's in production vehicles, earlier in racing vehicles
Scavenging exhaust system is a way to get extra power using an engine's exhaust flow, in a specific RPM band, and its free, just needs to be designed correctly

In a multi-cylinder engine, like a V6, there are 3 exhaust ports/pipes that flow into one larger pipe, the collector
In physics when you have flow from a smaller pipe into a larger pipe you will have a pressure drop at the transition to the larger pipe

How much of a pressure drop is decided by the Velocity in the smaller pipe and the size of the larger pipe
The pressure drop is the whole point of scavenging exhaust systems, in the case of a V6 in a static example, the pressure drop extends back on the other 2 smaller pipes, so when their exhaust valve opens exhaust is PULLED out of that cylinder leaving extra power on the crank because it doesn't have to PUSH as hard to get the exhaust out
Free scavenged power

Velocity is created by the size of the smaller "header" pipe and the displacement of the cylinder(engine size), and the size of the larger "collector" pipe
This is beyond my pay grade, lol, but the designs are out there for engine size and RPM band

Most vehicle makers use mid-band scavenging exhaust manifolds, 2,500rpm or so

Off the shelf "headers" can lower that to 2,000rpm or so, i.e. off the line low end power
"Racing headers" use 3,000rpm or so, if not higher
Its all in the design

The MTYH of "back pressure", no 4-stroke engine runs better with exhaust back pressure
The MYTH came from people putting on larger diameter "header" pipes to get "free flow" exhaust
Then going for a drive and "WTF!!!!!, I lost power????"
They lost the power from the factory scavenging exhaust system manifold, but not knowing that they surmise "this engine must need back pressure", they are wrong of course but the MYTH persists

Working Cat converters and mufflers have no effect on engine power, racing vehicles don't use them because of weight and cost, lol

"Cat back" exhaust can go bigger and will give you a lower exhaust tone but won't effect engine power one way or another, just sounds better if you like the lower tone

Straight pipe from "header" back is the same, larger pipe lower tone, no effect on power
Dual exhaust can give you the opportunity to add to the scavenged power from the "headers", "H" or X" pipes are added between the Dual exhaust pipes, since exhaust pulses in each pipe are opposite it will drop the pressure in each pipe, not much but not 0 either

Using the correct "header" is what gives you extra free power in the RPM band you want

What about dragsters or racing engines with just one pipe for each exhaust port exiting out into the air
Look at their diameter and length, this is also calculated to get some extra scavenged power at a specific RPM band

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
Using the correct "header" is what gives you extra free power in the RPM band you want
Thanks for the info, what short tube headers would you recommend? I have stock catalytic converter (might have to end up replacing) and straight through perf muffler. 4.0 SOHC, I just cant seem to find any good ones, that what I was hoping to find an answer to when replying to a 12 year old thread.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't since I never own a 4.0l SOHC engine :)

Even if I did and used 3rd party headers one persons opinion is OK but not gospel
Most headers will have reviews by shops or 3rd parties and give them a yea or nea

Make sure O2s have a spot/bung if your upstream O2s are on the current exhaust manifolds

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
I wouldn't since I never own a 4.0l SOHC engine :)

Even if I did and used 3rd party headers one persons opinion is OK but not gospel
Most headers will have reviews by shops or 3rd parties and give them a yea or nea

Make sure O2s have a spot/bung if your upstream O2s are on the current exhaust manifolds
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about trying to get lucky with eBay headers, but then again, my exhaust headers aren't broken... just thinking about it... Would you trust a listing like this or would something that cheap just be ineffective? 😂
1674618560126.png

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You already have the best mid-rpm range headers
So I assume any change you want would be to lose that and get more scavenged power off the line, lower RPM range

You have a 4.0l SOHC so NEED the EGR hook up as well I forgot that, not optional

Check out Mustang forums, they had the 4.0l SOHC in 2005 thru 2010, lots of info on modifications in those forums, i.e. "better in hock than stock"

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
Thanks for the good info, I'm not so knowledgeable on exhaust parts, my main goal is to tune my car and I didn't know if I had to replace my current headers (or really any other exhaust components) to match the increased intake flow, but if I don't have to and the stock ones are good than that's fine for me.

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 01 is a 4'oh sohc, but I was happy w the ebay offerings, esp for the price. MSG, plz ck out the links n info in my thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals