• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1988 Eddie Bauer "Sh!tBrick"

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I may have to change the name, but when I originally ran it, it was a POS with the ride characteristics of a styrofoam brick on an antenna. It was a headache from the day I won the auction on it, but I've had a love for it ever since. When I bought it, I knew it needed a new rear brake line and some exhaust work. I played with it for awhile when I got it, put it on the road for a few months, failed several inspections with it because of various issues, and then the wonderful ticking 2.9 with World Products heads decided to eat a valve. I parked it, found a 4.0 and began an ill-fated swap that never got completed.

The truck sat until I could spend time on it. And sat. And sat. My work truck (95 F-150) and my 89 BII Choptop got most of my time and money. I hadn't completely forgot the 88, I've collected random parts for it over the years, but it never really had my attention until now. After being injured in an auto accident, I'm finding it harder to work the clutch in my other trucks, so it left me with two options... either fix my 88 (the only auto trans vehicle I own), or buy something that needs work and fix it (like an Explorer). After giving the 88 a close look, I realized that the frame is absolutely beautiful, even after the extended sitting outside in the weather. The body has a few rust issues (cowl, bottom of the B pillars, back hatch, and the front of both rear wheel arches). Realistically though, the rust areas are fixable and arguably not all that terrible when you really get to looking at them. I have a welder (well, a couple of them), and I'm not afraid.

The interior is where it gets ugly. It didn't fare well from the extended sit outside with a rusty cowl and a hole by the back hatch big enough to let mice and snakes in. Carpet is shot. Seats are in poor shape and the tracks are rotted to uselessness. Headliner is junk. Door panels are junk. Dash pad is cracked. Vent window frames are rotted. Unfortunately, the interior gets expensive and not everything is available, even from LMC. Hopefully with some help from some of ya'll on here I'll be able to find everything I need eventually. Right now I'd be happy with a pair of front seats and good seat tracks. Or good seat tracks and I'll find my own seats to use for now.

As far as an engine goes, the 4.0L was pulled recently. I had intended on putting it in my choptop, but it proved to be seized up. When I remembered why I've invested money in air tools, I stripped it down to the block and used a 2x4 and sledgehammer to free it up. After inspecting it when I stripped it down, it's only fit for rebuilding. So I'm buying a 4.0 off my dad and giving it fresh top end gaskets and such for the choptop and the 88 is getting the 2.9 from the choptop. After of course getting new top end gaskets and headers. I also have a MAF conversion for a 2.9, but I may wait to get that in there.

So... I guess now would be a good time for some pictures...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
How it looks now/start of tear-down.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
For those interested in trying to help me with it...

If you live close and want to lend a hand, it's always appreciated. I can pay in food and beer in reasonable amounts.

As far as parts go, as of right now I'm looking for...

Seat tracks and/or a set of seats in decent condition. (I'd really like to find a set of tan seats, but I'd be happy with two front buckets of any color for now)

Interior door panels, tan, power locks/windows

Vent window frames with latches

Auto shifter handle (the floor mounted A4LD one)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Realized I forgot to mention my plans for the truck. Right now I'm looking to get it operational so I have an automatic to drive when my hip starts giving me too much trouble. And transportation after my surgery, hopefully.

I'm only planning to do a mild build on it, I already have my lifted choptop BII, so there's no need to go big with this one. I'm planning on doing a 1-2" suspension lift (Explorer springs most likely front and rear), eventually probably building a set of extended radius arms to help improve ride. Engine will be a 2.9 with port matched upper and hopefully an improved rocker arm assembly. Headers, high flow cat and magnaflow or flowmaster muffler with stainless piping. Gears will likely stay the same at 3.73 ratio, tires will be 235/75/15, probably eventually Mastercraft Courser C/Ts.

Body will be repaired in the rusted spots, considering doing a sunroof just because, and may get a 1" body lift (some of the body bushings are shot, so if I have to replace those, I may decide to give myself a little extra room to work on things). Headlights will be aftermarket clears with H4/9003 bulbs. Looking for clear markers for the front (under the headlights and on the fenders). New paint will be the standard two-tone EB colors (dark blue upper and tan lower).

Of course, customized changes may occur at any time...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Been working so much on getting the 4.0 in the choptop that I haven't really spent a whole lot of time on the 88 yet. But now that the choptop is about ready to go, I can really turn my attention to this project.

Radiator support was taken out, it was rotted to junk. Going to patch up the spare one I have.

Did some repairs to the cowl including coating the inside seam of the cowl with some quality urethane roof and flashing sealant. Seems to have resolved the leak issue. Still have a little repair work to do, but it's getting there. Going to have to do something about the body mount bushings, probably sooner rather than later. Not really looking forward to that. Have most of the brake lines either replaced or ready to be replaced with Ni-Copper lines. No more rusted lines. Found my Skyjacker 2" lift coils. They will likely be going on the truck.

Oh, and the 2.9 is now on my engine stand ready to be torn down to the block and get a freshened top end.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
No, this build is not dead...

Most of the firewall is patched now, just have two little spots left for now, but I was planning on fiberglassing the last of the repairs and the weather has been a little chilly for that. My MIG welder needs a new fill on the shielding gas bottle before I do much more with it. I now have all the parts I need (mechanically speaking, still don't have the interior parts), they're all sitting in the truck. New bushings, brakes, engine parts, etc. Got the engine tore down to the block on the engine stand too. Unfortunately, a lot of my extra time when the weather hasn't been overly bad has been spent working on other vehicles.

The starter on my F-150 gave out, along with the solenoid on the fender. My brother's car needed looked over when he was home because his mechanic was playing the rip-off game. But that's little stuff... mom's truck has needed a lot of my attention lately. Starter, struts, tie rods, brakes, fuel filler neck, etc. Of course, my parents want to know if I'll ever get my 88 done.... like... if I could stop working on your stuff.... lol.

And of course, the nice days that I was able to spare time, I had to test out my new home brewing equipment....

Hopefully though, I'm ready to get another start on this project. I'm tired of looking at it on jackstands, time to get it back on it's feet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals