• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1984 Subaru Brat

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I like the Subaru Brat, but your comment on bed size has no grounding in reality. Why do you think the new Rangers have tiny beds?

The low range on the old Subaru's was only a tiny bit below the high range. Something like 1.2:1 (compared to 2.48:1 on a typical Ranger transfer case). Not even close.

CVT has been the transmission of the future for decades now. Subaru was one of the early pioneers. They've started pushing it a lot more in the last few, but definitely not new. If they can ever make it truly reliable it'll be something worth talking about.
The CVT's have been around for what 30+ years? You'd think by now they'd figure out how to build them LOL. I've had a couple CVT equipped ATV's and they never gave me any issues, the reliability is there, automakers just build stuff for quantity rather than actually building stuff to last, they want you back on the car lot in a couple years opening up your wallet again LOL.

Pickups today are used for mall crawler soccer mom cars rather than actual pickups...like I said I think the Brat's bed actually was larger than the new Ranger once again pointing the fact that today people buy trucks as status symbols to show off to their friends, and have absolutely no need for a truck in reality, well other than to haul around their purse.

I haven't looked too much into the low range in the Subaru's just pointed out the fact that at least Subaru had low range unlike today's soccer mom hatchback cars trying to be SUV's with a cheesy AWD system that may or may not give any aid in low traction conditions. I don't mind the old school lever, today's drivers are just too lazy.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Actually the 4wd system Subaru used back then essentially WAS a part time all wheel drive system. The term AWD hadn't been invented yet so it was referred to as either 4wd or Bi-Drive, Hence the name of the Brat (Stands for 'Bi-drive Recreational all-terrain transporter'). As for cvt, the dutch were doing that way back in the 60s.
So even the part time 4WD setup they had in the older Subaru's was able to operate on dry pavement without binding? I was under the impression those old Subaru 4wd systems were like what you find in HD pickups, 2WD only on pavement or you get binding problems.

I didn't know the CVT went way back to the 60's, I knew it was used in a few vehicles in the 80's and the one that stands out in my mind was the Subaru Justy...there's one down the street from me that is in pretty good condition, I drive by once in a while to see if its for sale because if he ever does put it up for sale I'm buying it LOL.

Subarute

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They only bind if you do a u turn. They don't bind in the sense it stops being able to move or u joints grind but they can get stuck in 4wd

Last edited:

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Funny how the engine compartments looks similar over the past 15-20 years or so. We have a 14 Crosstrek that replaced an 01 Outback. They look very similar from the top to me minus the oil filter relocation. Easy to work on too.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Id put an AMC eagle against a brat anyday.

Just my opinion.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've been looking for an AMC eagle for years upon years. That's my absolute dream car to build into a surf fishing buggy. Not many people who own them are willing to part with them...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i had a few eagles...subs and hondas and tercel sr5.

my eagle s swapped in 208's.....but the amc 20 spit splines in low.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals