• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Muzzle Loader

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok Gents,

The in-law's house got flooded by a pin-hole leak in a copper pipe under the floors. They're having to move out for three months. My father-in-law gave me a bunch of random guns to hold for him until they get back. Interesting mix - Winchester pump .410's, single shot .410's, etc. But check this one out. Anybody know about it? It looks like a .50 caliber muzzle loader. Has A. WURFFLEIN PHILA stamped on the barrel.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like a really nice target gun. Very heavy barrel, peep sights and a double set trigger. Nice!

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
found this on the net.

William Wurfflein was the son of Andrew Wurfflein, a gun maker in Philadelphia. William took over his father's business in 1871 and acquired four patents for firearm improvements. The business closed in 1915.

Summary: Rifle was made by William Wurfflein of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, between 1871-1915. The sporting or gallery rifle has a 30-inch octagonal and round barrel, checkered pistol grip and forearm, tang peep rear site and a hooded front site. On the barrel of the rifle is "Phil. Pa."

If that gun was made by Andrew it would have been made between 1845 and 1871. There are a few pistols on the net made by him. $6000 to $9000!!!!!!
http://rock-island-auction.ammoland.com/3005.html

That thing is wicked cool!

Last edited:

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WOW - that is pretty cool. It seems to be in excellent condition. Definately has the octagonal barrel - It's heavier than a MF'er.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found some more info. See if it fits one of these lengths. Then you will know what it is.

there are several muskets with the Wurfflein/Philadelphia stamp:
- the German Navy musket 1849 (barrel: 37inch)
- the Prussian M 1809/UM (barrel: ca 41 inch)
- US M 1812 (or better:standard musket of 1815) (barrel: 42inch)

Whatever you do. DON'T CLEAN OR POLISH IT UP! It ruins the value. It is best to leave it in a used condition. I remember that from an episode of Pawn Stars where this guy had a civil war colt. He cleaned it up before bringing it in for trade. Took over half the price away from what it was worth and ruined the historical value.

Last edited:

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Uh, This puppy's no longer than 31"

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found some more info. See if it fits one of these lengths. Then you will know what it is.

there are several muskets with the Wurfflein/Philadelphia stamp:
- the German Navy musket 1849 (barrel: 37inch)
- the Prussian M 1809/UM (barrel: ca 41 inch)
- US M 1812 (or better:standard musket of 1815) (barrel: 42inch)

Whatever you do. DON'T CLEAN OR POLISH IT UP! It ruins the value. It is best to leave it in a used condition. I remember that from an episode of Pawn Stars where this guy had a civil war colt. He cleaned it up before bringing it in for trade. Took over half the price away from what it was worth and ruined the historical value.
I'm not taking the steel wool to it. I just called my father-in-law (super cool dude) and told him what it might be worth. He was like - Um, I'm bird hunting, can you bother me later? He set world speed records in hydroplane boats, was on the cover of sports illustrated for winning the US field archery championship, had winning TX gun dogs, ran the boston marathon a couple of times etc.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Uh, This puppy's no longer than 31"
If I am not mistaken, that would make it a sporting rifle. Easier to carry on a horse. Should have it appriased by a spurt.

Or Perhaps that is a kit rifle that someone made. I made a Hawken 50 cal from a kit when I was in High school. Shot it only twice and my shoulder still hurts from it 30 years later.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got It - could you see through the black-powder cloud for days?

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My work buddy built a black powder Navy Colt pistol kit. We went out and shot it a couple of times - had to stop too much smoke.

Last edited:

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First time I ever shot the Hawken, was in my fathers back yard. He lives in the city of Broomfield and has a park behind his house with open fields on the other side of the park. Well being young and just getting it done I could not wait to fire it off. Dad had the truck at work and I was stuck in the house after school. I let it off out the back gate with a solid slug at a target that we set up. (4x4 sheet of plywood.) I hit the 1/2 in board in the upper left and it blew the corner to pieces. Almost knocked me over. The cloud was so huge. We put everything away as fast as we could. And sure enough a city cop came round. The cloud was all around my dads house. When he knocked on the door we hid in the basement.
They contacted my dad that afternoon when he got home from work. We told him we set off a M-80.
I only fired it about 15 times total in the time I had it. Man what a kick. If you missed your traget and hit a small tree, the slug would cut the tree down. No kidding! LOL

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking this rifle is not that old. If it is, the sights are not. I don't think I have seen rifling cut that way on older weapons either.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Me too _ that's why I'm asking. The front sight seem suspicious.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
great looking rifle....authentic or not....kinda like breast implants...waahahaha

I got a .44 muzzle loader...built it from a kit my wife bought me in 1974....kicks like a .410...lotta fun!!....now i need to return the favor to her!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals