• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mustang transmission into a '94 B2300?

ice1200s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/60-14
Thinking of rebuilding the motor and replacing the transmission while I'm at it. Does anyone know if any of the Mustang close ratio transmissions, or something similar, fit behind the truck version of the 2.3 Lima engine? I have a hydraulic clutch.
I don't want to do an engine swap, but I am going to be warming up the engine a little during the rebuild and possibly making it a 2.5. TIA

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A 85-93 T5 from a 2.3 mustang will physically bolt up to the 2.3 in your truck but no idea what driveshaft would fit, what shifter would work, what clutch to use, or if there's any bolt on crossmembers that will work. I also don't think the ratios are that much different from the m5od. I know the t5 has a slightly lower first gear but think the rest is fairly similar.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
A T5 out of a 4 cylinder Mustang has a 3.95 low and a .80 overdrive, a V8 used a 3.35 low and .67 overdrive. The V8 transmission is obviously a closer ratio unit and the bell housing is removable. If your truck is a 2wd it should be doable but fabrication may be involved and I'm not sure where the shifter would end up, I think the T5 shifter is farther rearward. I personally like the T5 better than the M5OD and they're both head and shoulders better than a FM 145/6.

ice1200s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/60-14
Thanx guys. I'll pursue this a little. What I have found out so far, is the "83 and '84 V-8 T-5 had a 2.95 first gear. Shouldn't I be able to rebuild an '83 or '84 T-5 with whatever gearset ratios I chose as long as it works for the year of the transmission and they're appropriate? Perhaps even an aftermarket set? Mine is a 2WD. This vehicle is a toy. A third vehicle. So I can do whatever I need to do to make it work.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Mustangs have a cable clutch, so you need to add a hydraulic slave set up; if you look in the V-8 swap section you will find a number of different ways to accomplish it.

You can find T-5s with everything from 4.03 to 2.95 1st OEM (and rebuilt), you just need to keep the rest of the ratios consistent for whichever 1st you pick and you might need to adjust clutch plate to match input spline. Pretty much any gear set fits in any T-5 case. If you get a T5 with the S-10 tail shaft housing (or just the housing and shift rails), it puts the shifter more/less in stock position. Mustang shifter would be right up against the cushions of 60/40 seat. The good news is the S-10 tail shaft housing bolts onto any T-5 (so does the Jeep one with round 6 bolt pattern for transfer case if you were going that direction).
Depending on what you are picking for rear end ratios, I think I would be tempted to get a V-6 T-5 as the slightly lower 1st better matches the lower torque of a 4 cyl. Also, less likely to have been abused than a V-8 one was.​

T-5 is a lot more compact/lighter than M5OD.

ice1200s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/60-14
Thanx for the info. Cable clutch huh? Gotta add a slave cylinder you say? I gotta research that one. Transmission mounts, cross-member, and driveshaft modifications I've done before, but that one's new to me.
I live in an area where the highest speed limit is 50 mph, so when I rebuilt the rear end, I went with a set of 4.56s. It's great! I'm finally using fifth gear around here! Another reason I think I might want to go with the 2.95 first gear.
Thank you guys so much! Please keep this stuff coming. I'm making notes in a Word file on my desktop and will definitely use it.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Turbocoupe thunder bird transmissions have hydro clutch and better gearing... have to cut floor board about 8" for shifter and either move transmission mounts back 6ish inches or make a bracket out of 1/4 plate steel... shifter bumps the bench seat in normal orientation so best to flip it around to get clearance!

ice1200s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/60-14
Thanx a bunch! Bought another vehicle so put this on the back burner for a couple of months. Having a hard time finding a junkyard within a reasonable distance that can work with me on this. Trying to do some matches with a core engine and transmission before going too far.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals