• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mustang II front Suspension question

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I just traded my 95 T-bird (with a 4.6) donor car for a 75 mustang II donor car, the car has a factory 302, so this is going to be much easier for me to do the v8 swap in my 88 Ranger, and I can use the Mustang II ac stuff.

Well, about my question about the suspension, I plan on using the Mustang II suspension on the Ranger, so I can lower it with out having to play with that crappy twin I beam stuff, the car is a 4 lug, I need to know what spindles and/or rotors do I have to get to change it over to the Ford 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

also on a side note, I thought all the little Mustang II's that came out with a v8 had the 5 lugs, or was I just dreaming ??? I would hate to think I was going to destroy a cobra or king cobra, oh well.

Thank you

Robert

sent with a jug of shine and a quart jar with 5 x's on it.

morbert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
5 bold ford spindls

You need to go too four eyed pride the mustang and capri site. there you will find all the information you need for the 4 to 5 bolt spindle swap.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
well after doing some searching, I figured out I can use Granada rotors, BUT I have to use GM calibers, THAT ISN'T GOING TO WORK FOR ME, so I guess one day I will have to take a picture and some measurements of the Mustang II spindle and see what the difference is between the Granada spindles, I really really don't want to use GM parts, and have to keep up with too many different makes and models for parts, I already have a 94 Explorer axle under the back, and that plus the worn out leafs have my back bumper dragging the ground.

oh well.

Robert

sent with a one arm woman and a Dixie cup.

modxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
should be cool with mustang to front end installed make sure you get all your geometry right or your get a lousey ride bump steer we call it here in the uk,ive just fitted a jag xls ifs in my 88 looks pretty sweet just got to sort front wheels out but has made it a lot lower on front end with full suspension travel of standard jag

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to mark and cut the frame on my Ranger, then cut the Mustang II frame, then graft it to the Ranger frame, the same way people do Nova front clip on the old cars.

This way I'm not changing any thing about how it's going to travel, plus the Motor mounts are already in place where they belong.

I'm hoping for a 4 to 5 inch drop, if it goes too far, then I'll just add air shocks to the front, until I can get to the big Rig junk yard and get a set of bags off the back of a air ride system, I found out I can buy the same bags that cost lower riders for a 10th of the price, the one in Knoxville, Tn. said I can get them for 10 to 15.00 a bag.

Robert

posted with a brick and Elmer's glue.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You might have an issue with frame and track width, other than that it should work. MII swaps happen all the time into almost everything, no reason it can't be done on a Ranger as well. These days most people use aftermarket parts set up for the proper frame and track width that you weld to the existing frame, but they all started with someone doing exactly what you are talking about.

As for the brakes take a look at this one: MustangSteve's
Granada Disc Brake Conversion for Classic Mustangs

This might be a future option as well: MustangSteve's Cobra Brake Swap

I was planning to do a MII suspension swap at some point in the future (still may) and wanted to retain the Cobra brakes I am getting for the beams. MustangSteve's site was what I found in my search and it's the one I keep going back to when that idea pops back into my head.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Trust me, I wish I could afford to buy a MII kit, or even a FatMans kit, but this is going to be the cheapest I can get away with.

I'll check on that Steve site, next month if there is a somewhat pretty day, I'm going to Pull-A-Part, and see what parts I can get, so come this spring when the doc's let me do more then sitting around watching tv and dreaming, I'll be ready to start the swap.

Tomorrow I'm going to take pictures of the Mustang II, and update my build thread.

Robert

sent with a bad tv and and loud radio.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals