• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mustang 2.3 & T5 tranny

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Lucked out and a friend GAVE me a 87 2.3 with 5 speed ranger,his brother swapped in a 87 mustang 2.3 with a T5 transmission. I have to figure out witch system to use the mustangs bell housing is mechanical only should I fab up a bracket for a "hyd" slave cyl or adapt the mustangs mech "cable" pedal an such? Has any 1 done this ? Are there other solutions? It also looks like the alt & power steering bracket will hit the steering box the oil pan looks good tho. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.THANX!! :icon_welder:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lucked out and a friend GAVE me a 87 2.3 with 5 speed ranger,his brother swapped in a 87 mustang 2.3 with a T5 transmission. I have to figure out witch system to use the mustangs bell housing is mechanical only should I fab up a bracket for a "hyd" slave cyl or adapt the mustangs mech "cable" pedal an such? Has any 1 done this ? Are there other solutions? It also looks like the alt & power steering bracket will hit the steering box the oil pan looks good tho. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.THANX!! :icon_welder:
First question is............What is it going in? Year? I know you said it has a steering box so I assume it is a ranger but tell us. If it is going in a ranger then I wouold hunt the local junkyards (God knows Peoria has plenty of them) and find the correct brackets for the truck. As for the cable operated clutch linkage you should be able to find a setup for an external slave. I think there is a hydraulic setup for a t-5 but I don't remember which vehicle uses it.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx 4 responding both vehicles are 87 the mustang motor and tranny are sitting in the ranger now only the motor mounts are bolted.I think the turbo coupe t-bird uses the external slave cyl but the mustang bell housing lacks the mount casting.I was HOPING another member had dealt with this b4 and could advise me on what he had done "fab a bracket,after market or adapted one from another vehicle".I was also wondering if I could use the mustang pedal,cable adjuster & cable on the ranger. What do you think? I kinda figured I'd have to get the ranger accessory bracket.This truck is in GREAT shape for being 24 years old.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Bellhousings

Does any1 know if I could switch the bell housings & throwout bearings? Bell housing & throw out bearing from the TK-5 to the T-5? THANX!

Last edited:

wlabrum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
undermined as yet
Transmission
Manual
I looked at doing this same swap using a 88 stang motor and spent many hours doing the research and here is what I found

no the cable system will not work without a lot of mods

the tk5 and the t5 have different mountings centers for trans

if you use a bell housing from a Thunderbird turbo coupe it will hook up to stock master using the turbo coupes external slave cylinder

If you want to get fancy the stock stang uses a bell crank on the bell housing which enables you to use a pull-type(attwood) slave cylinder

I found quite a few t/c bell housings on ebay for less than 100 bucks shipped.

you will probably have to use the ranger alt/ps/ brackets as the stang ones come real close to hitting the steering box

Have fun

BTW I have seen a homemade bracket that bolts to stang bell housing but I did not like the fact that it sits on the same torque plain as the trans as this method reduces the structural integrity

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
:)

THAAANK-YOU!!! Update found on 1 e-bay THANX 4 your help!!:icon_welder: Also picked up alt and power steering pump with brkt at at Darst street parts for $20.00!.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals