• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Multiple Swap issues

rekles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 ohv, 4.0sohv
Transmission
Manual
Hi
I'm having some electrical issues with 99 rangerxlt
I have swapped over a 4.0 sohc engine and also interior from a 02 or 03?
For the most part everything was a swap over but due to the doner truck being crashed some wires were cut here and there. I was also going through a divorce and this project had lost pieces that I had to replace with parts from a junkyard.
The major problems I am having are the power door locks seem like they are not getting enough amprage to property operate like I have to hit the button several times to move the door rod only half way then the fourth time consecutively pressing the button it stops functioning.

Other problems are dome light not working, and door chime goes off when driver door is open regardless of key being in ignition or not. Also no power mirror function, no cruise control, and no ac working.

There is a extra connector not being used on the drivers side around the emergency brake and I'm not sure what of if I need to splice that into anything.

From what I have gathered the Pats and wiring has changed alot from 99-03,4 and I've had no luck finding the wire diagrams I need to fix this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks all

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1999/2000 V6 Rangers have a separate PATS module above glove box, 4cyl Rangers didn't have PATS until mid-2001 with the 2.3l Duratec engines
2001 Rangers have PATS built-into the computer(PCM), so your 2002/3 computer just needs the 2 wires for PATS hooked up to the transceiver, the black ring antenna around key slot
Diagram for 2002 below, its the same for 2001 thru 2003
Pins 17 and 18 on computer(PCM) goes to transceiver, transceiver also has 12v(key on) and ground, so 4 wires, which should already be there

pin 44 grounds the starter relay
Pin 30 grounds the Anti-theft light in the cluster

All of these wires will be on the PATS module above Glove box if 1999 was a V6 model
see 1999 PATS diagram

While you have the steering column covers off, you will see a single wire, usually black, thats connected to a blue insert thats inside the key cylinder slot
If that wire is GROUNDED by a key being in the ignition, GEM module will activate the chime when drivers door is opened, most likely the pin inside cylinders hole is bent, so its grounded all the time
Or if that wire is grounded any where, chime will activate when door is open

Would need the color of the unconnected wire by e-brake to "maybe" find out what its for

Door Locks...................does the 1999 have keyless entry(fobs) or no keyless entry, it matters for door lock wiring
Below is wiring for keyless entry with RAP module
Relays are in a box above gas pedal

Attachments

Last edited:

rekles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 ohv, 4.0sohv
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I got covid really bad and was in the hospital.
Yes pin was bent and grounded out, and i just removed it for now.

I swiped over all the wiring harnesses from 2001 a\to 2003 I believe so the pats is all working and function as it should
I do have the keyless fob for unlock and lock that was the original 99 one but as stated it doesn't function as it should, i will have to remove the e brake hopefully tomorrow and see what wires are there

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals