• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Multiple issues '97 2.3L manual

Lil'Red1997

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a '97 2.3L manual transmission ranger with multiple issues. I'm hoping you guys can help me come up with some things to check.

1. Super slippy clutch cooled off for 2ish hours and now it's back to normal
I got my oil changed today at a tire place that was advertising oil changes for $24.99 (that ended up nearly $40). I know, I know, I should have changed it myself. Now, I have had a new clutch on the "to do" list for a while because the clutch will slip in 5th when trying to accelerate up hill, down shift to 4th and it's fine. When I picked the truck up, it was slipping a bit in 1st. The more I drove it the more it slipped. Eventually I got stuck going up a hill. I inched my way back down the hill on the shoulder and into a parking lot. My dad came to rescue me and helped me complete my time sensitive errands. We returned to the truck about 2 hours later and it was fine. I drove all the way home no slipping or struggling like it never had an issue. Back to "normal."

2. Lugging/no power under 2500 rpm "takes off" over 2500 rpm.
Any gear under 2500 rpm the truck lugs and chugs and crawls along no matter how hard you push the gas pedal. Once we inch up to 2500 rpm it just "takes off" almost like if you started puttering along with the parking brake on only to release it. That's just an analogy. It is not the parking brake.

3. Rev hang/creep
This has happened several times in the short 3000 miles I've had the truck. Coming up to a stop, pushing the clutch pedal and/or in neutral the rpm has stayed high, 2-3000 rpm, for 5-10 seconds. Once it even crept up from idle at a stop to about 3000 rpm where it stayed for 10-15 seconds before dropping back to idle.

4. Leaking power steering
The power steering leaks ALL OVER. I have removed all the nasty old black ATF that I could with a turkey baster, maybe 4-5 oz? I then refilled it with ATF safe power steering stop leak. It still leaks.

5. Check engine code P1443
This one is intermittent. I can make 4-5 trips without the CEL coming on or it will come on with every erase/start up cycle. I have not noticed any pattern and it seems to run the same no matter what.

5. General sluggishness
This truck makes my Prius C feel fast and trust me it's no race car.

6. Hard starting after short stop.
This has happened twice, both on warm days. The first time I stopped at a gas station just long enough to go walk in see that they were out of what I was looking for and get back in the truck. The second time I filled up with gas and jumped back in. Both times it went like this: Crank crank crank fire stumble die. Crank crank crank nothing. Wait 5ish minutes crank while pumping the throttle started up and drove away. Both times my wife was with me and now she thinks it is an unreliable piece of junk.

Last edited:

Lil'Red1997

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Really? Nothing? How about this?
What could cause my little truck to die and have trouble starting? I hopped in last night for a short trip to Walmart. I backed out of the driveway and made it to the stop sign. The engine shuddered to a halt as I came to a stop. Not only was the clutch pedal fully depressed but the transmission was also in neutral. It was dusk so I had the headlights on and it was still hot out so the AC was on as well. It took 6 or 7 tries to get the engine to start up again cranking hard-and-fast the whole time.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Next time it stalls and fails to restart... hold the pedal to the floor. That is clear flood mode. It will turn OFF the injectors. It kinda sounds like maybe you are to rich... leaky injectors maybe. I would also put a fuel pressure gauge on it. When you shut it off... it should maintain fuel pressure. If it falls down quick... could be leaky injectors or perhaps a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Lil'Red1997

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok I finally have a working fuel pressure gauge and some readings. I bought one at Harbor freight and it leaked everywhere. The needle was jumping up and down between 0-20 and it was dripping all over the place. I put plumbers tape on the connections then it wouldn't come off zero. I exchanged it and the new one seems to work. I put plumbers tape on it too and there were no obvious leakes.

Key on engine off 35 psi
Idle steady 30psi
Rev the engine it jumps to 40psi
Holding higher rpm steady 30psi
12:30pm 35psi
8pm 20psi

Does gas melt plumbers tape? Could it be leaking slowly from the fittings? Fingers crossed it's cheap faulty equipment not old car parts. Any suggestions as to what else I should look for?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Fuel pumps don't hold fuel pressure for long, there's no direct check valve in them just the gear pump slowly leaking by

That sounds like normal operation for a vacuum compensated fuel pressure regulator to me, full pressure when system primed, lower pressure when at idle and when revved up and held (still a high vacuum situation) but the blip in throttle getting to high rpm is a low vacuum situation so the pressure should go up.

My '97 runs strange sometimes too, part throttle stumble and rough running, but I haven't looked too deep into it...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You also need to address the purge valve issue. It could be stuck open or leaking. The code comes and goes because it will only set when the purge valve is commanded on which only happens under specific conditions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals