• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Multimount or universal winch mount

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering which would be best setup for my daily driven truck. I'm kinda leaning toward the multimount because my truck already has a reciever hitch on the back, but a universal would probably be allright too. Help me out guys. FYI I'm on a buget.

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nto sure what you're looking to do, but some things to think about...

-The hitch mount style will severly reduce your approach/departure angles. Depeding on the trail, you'll be dragging it through what ever is on the trail.

-If you're looking at putting the winch on the back of your truck, you're going to need at least 4 gauge cable run the entire length of the truck. I'd suggest going bigger though as the loss with the kind of amperage that the winch will draw is alot, go with 0 or 2 gauge.

-If going the hitch mount route, you'll have to decide if you want to run with it on the truck, or install it when needed. If you're planning on installing it when needed, think about being stuck in a hole, or bumper deep in mud. You'll be digging and getting dirty, and possibly not being able to mount it.

-You said that you have a hitch on the back of your truck, but do you have one on the front of the truck to be able to effectively use the winch to pull yourself through whatever you'll need it for?

If you're on a budget, stick with the essentials. Get a good recovery strap, some shackles, a hi-lift (and know how to use it!!!!!!), and wheel with guys/gals that are doing trails you're capable of. Work on a bumper/winch as you can. There is alot you can do without a winch.

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info yyc_tbird_sc, your right, I do need to stick with the essentials. I've been helping out at JN Wrecker so much the last several months that i've gotten spoiled to using a winch. I appreciate the advice too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals