• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Muffler heat shield/strap

DECRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Custom
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Hi all. My 1990 Ranger was a former state vehicle, and now after a few years I have to replace the muffler. It looks like at some point the state workers had removed the tail pipe altogether, and decided to attach the muffler directly to the intermediate pipe (no doubt in a generous gesture to save the taxpayers money) and affixed it with a solid, but definitely homemade looking muffler bracket bolted to the chassis. So it's a short stubby setup.

Since the current setup vents exhaust right under the back of the cab, I'm looking to return to the factory setup and not breathe in as much exhaust. I see a mounting bushing towards the rear of the bed for the tailpipe hanger, but my question is: do I need the muffler strap as well? I see the muffler mounts with two clamps, one on either end, but I can't see any obvious place where the muffler strap would attach, and I couldn't find any reliable diagrams for a 1990 that show all the extra exhaust components like the muffler strap and heat shield (which I also can't seem to find where it mounts, since I don't appear to have one either). I didn't know if the hangers for the intermediate pipe and tailpipe were enough to support the muffler. It's about $10 on RockAuto, so not against getting one for the extra support.

So in a nutshell: how critical are the muffler bracket and heat shield, and where do they mount?

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals