• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mud affecting clutch acuation

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
I was doing some offroading yesterday and was driving through some very deep and soft mud. When I was trying to rock the car, the clutch became less and less responsive until it froze in the released position. It was annoying to have to pull dead weight out. On dry ground, I pulled the inspection cover and dug the mud out between the springs and the pressure plate housing enough to limp home.

What I think happened was the mud either splashed through the top holes of the bell housing or maybe came up through the drain holes. Has anyone experienced this problem? Could there be any negative consequences for sealing the bell housing?

IMG_20240622_185030661_HDR.jpg PXL_20240622_2158192862.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you develop a minor oil leak it could get on the clutch if the holes are blocked. It will puddle up inside the housing.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Maybe nearly sealed would be the way to go? Just leave a weep hole that could be cleaned after a trip through mud.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've never had the problem but there are a bunch of openings in the bell housing around the clutch aside from the inspection hole where the rubber plug goes. So, mud getting in there and gumming up the works is a problem. That's one spot where the automatic transmission is superior to a manual. I'd still rather have the manual.

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
For the foreseeable future I'm going to carry a rod bent into shape to scrape it out if it happens again. There are so many holes for a reason so I don't want to just block them if I can help it. If it gets annoying, I will plug the rest. The holes are likely for cooling and since this car gets driven in traffic, the clutch could probably benefit from it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What if you took the cover off completely? Would that give the mud a place to go when you got out of it? The reason I say this, I had a 57 chevy I drove for years, and I still have a 89 f250 diesel I am still driving. They both had manual transmission swaps, and I never got around to putting a cover back on the bottom side. I don't go mudding, but as far as normal driving and driving in a field off-road, I have never had a problem with the bottom of the flywheel being exposed like that.

If you think about it, the driveshaft is exposed back there twirling around at speed and it never seems to have a problem.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i took the cover off a few too. never had issues though i only mudded one. it never gummed anything up having the cover off but we are talking texas sand/mud, which is more soupy that gooey

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I hate mud........

My best friend used to be big into mud racing and the mud out here is really nasty greasy gumbo clay. It dries like concrete. He had literally hours of pressure washing his truck after every race. That crap ruins everything it touches. I have a Dana 44 out of another mud truck in my shop right now that sat outside uncovered for about 5 years and it STILL has mud packed into the brake rotor fins.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
thats the truth, it ruins everything it touches. in the long run, its going to get your stuff some way

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
What if you took the cover off completely? Would that give the mud a place to go when you got out of it?
I thought this initially too. The problem is in how the pressure plate is designed. The mud gets in the center of it and as it spins it gets packed behind the pressure plate frame and pushes against the springs. There is nowhere for it to ooze out. This was very smooth mud like it had lots of clay.

Nothing is permanent including the bronco. I pay to play. 🤷‍♂️ Whether it be time, parts, paint, or welding gas. Sooner or later it will be time for a new one.

901wd#2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it has two heads, it better have more than six cylinders.
I like kickin up rooster tails and sliding around in mud, but I’ll never drive in a slop hole again. Only took one time pulling the trans to clean the crap out of the clutch to learn my lesson.

Mud just ruins everything, Florida man said “if you’re getting stuck, you’re going too slow” he had a ranger with a big block Chevy + nitrous on smallish tractor tires.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals