• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MPG gain - AC bypass

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I so much prefer manual controls, where I can pick the outlet, recirculation, fan speed, temp and AC. Ford hasn’t done that in forever though. I guess they assume people are to dumb to figure it, and maybe they’re right.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It all started with automatic transmissions......................and it will end at MANDATORY self driving cars and trucks :)

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Thanks for the good discussion. It was very educational as I was listening in and helps explain why the HVAC does what it does when it is working as it is supposed to. There is a lot behind that deceptively simple control knob!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It all started with automatic transmissions......................and it will end at MANDATORY self driving cars and trucks :)
Teslas? Let us all pray that doesn't happen!!

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Thanks for all the tips. It has been a while since I studied the vacuum routing for the HVAC controls. I was pretty sure I could make it work like I wanted by putting a valve system in the lines. I didn't experiment with it to see if it would work. I thought the heater core for the blend door always had hot coolant flowing through it and that was bypassed in Max A/C. If hot coolant is shut off in Max A/C, I may have to rethink what I need to do.

I have a Ford repair manual with wiring and vacuum diagrams for the 2002 Ranger. Hopefully they are correct. I will study everything to see what it takes to make it work like I want it to. Hopefully it can be done with the control switch. That would make things easier than having to switch a valve or valves when I want to use Max A/C.

Now that I am thinking about it more, I think what I decided would work the best was to have the door the for outside air intake close when in normal A/C instead of making it work like I want in Max A/C, but I don't remember if I came up with a way to do it. I will post if I find a way to do what I want, whatever it is.

As I recall with my 89 STX, all I had to do was switch to 'recirculate air' when off-road. The A/C still worked normally but was not pulling in outside air. I think I could use that recirculate feature on any HVAC setting.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, earlier systems had a manual fresh/recirculate vent option

As said just unplug the grey vacuum line from the by-pass valve in the engine bay, and plug it
Then test in MAX AC to see if you can adjust the Temp, you should be able to since coolant is still flowing thru the heater core
And in COLD setting it should still be pretty cold assuming AC system is OK
It would be the same as regular AC but using recirculated air because outside air vent is closed

So done, and doner, lol

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
This thread makes my brain hurt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals