• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mouse nest in air filter box

insaneranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/40 R18
I had the same problem a couple years ago when I was getting my truck back on the road. I put mousetraps baited with peanut butter in the bed, floorboards, & under my truck. I also agree with getting an outdoor cat to help take care of business.

Todd1591

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004, 2019
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Sorry, a rant. Perhaps all good approaches, but better engineering would help. I have lived in the same place >20 years. For the 1st 3-4, a 1986 Nissan P/U never had cab mice. Bought a new 2004 Ranger, and in 17 years, twice mice in the air filter box, NEVER in the cab. Added a 2019 Ranger just over a year ago, and within 2 weeks had mice in the jack-storage box (no cover plate from the wide open wiring conduit that passes under the door jamb), the glove box (and the cabin air filer) still working on a solution, and under the dash. There is no excuse (though the reason is snap-in plastic parts) for cars to be built like this.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My '87 was parked in a field for 10 years... ZERO mice. Shocking, really! The previous owner had these little anti-rodent scent bags hanging in it, I think they really helped.

Did have several others that got ate up by mice... a nice 93 Explorer, nests everwhere. Air filter box, heater plenum, behind the rear interior panels... didn't smell bad though, that was nice. My Bronco II was the worst. It sat in a barn for probably 15 years or more. I gutted the interior, cleaned everything, bleached the floors and side walls, and put in new carpet... still smelled like piss. The 85 Ranger I'm working on now had a big nest on top of the engine and I'm sure I'll find more.

New cars are weird, I expect mice in old ones, but you'd think something driven regularly would be no problem... my mom had mice in her Kia constantly, one of my friends had mice in his Kia all the time too. The dealer said they see it all the time, they get into the dash and eat stuff. Why Kia, who knows.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I put a perforated plastic bag of mothballs in my ‘87’s filter box, on the bottom, pre-filter. Got to remember to check it, but it’s been working fine.

-Jazzer

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We've been using Irish Spring soap in the camper and it has kept the pesky critters out so far (knocks wood).

Cats on the farm just seem to want to put their paw print all over the hood and roof.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
We've been using Irish Spring soap in the camper and it has kept the pesky critters out so far (knocks wood).

Cats on the farm just seem to want to put their paw print all over the hood and roof.
I have heard this repeatedly but apparently there is something wrong with the mice here or something. I put Irish Spring soap in my 88, 00, 95 and box truck to start with. The mice literally ate the entire bar of soap in each.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Soap makes good catfish bait...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It’s been a running battle for mice here. I put traps in two of my trucks and in my box truck/trailer project and killed over 30 mice in the last 6 months. There are still more. I had them plug up my air box in the Ranger I was driving daily to the point that every evening I put a snap trap in the air box and every morning would take it out. We have two cats and apparently quite the mouse population

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Cats are pointless. You need stoats. I have some on my property and have never had a mouse problem. Never even seen a mouse near my house or barn even with tons of chicken feed everywhere. They are some evil little mouse killing devils...

images.jpeg

Last edited:

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Put on a CAI, No more airbox. LOL!!
Rangers already HAVE a CIA, from the factory. The intake draws air from somewhere between the outer and inner fender, low down, so it draws cold air from OUTSIDE the engine compartment.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you like the factory air intake muffler, more power to you. I've never noted the MAC CAI on mine to get overly hot, even in the summer. And now, it has two small scoops on the hood directly over it, so CAI. First thing I do, any vehicle I buy, is ditch the factory intake muffler. Usually within the first week.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oh good god not this again...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals