• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

motor swap question

clb4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
i have a 95 mazda b4000 4x4, and i was wondering if the motor from a 98 ford explorer xlt would bolt in to my truck with out modification?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well one of the three engines available in the 98 Explorer will be bolt in. The other two will not.

clb4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Well one of the three engines available in the 98 Explorer will be bolt in. The other two will not.
how would i be able to tell?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You would need an OHV 4.0 to have it bolt in. That would be the same motor as what you have.

The SOHC 4.0 will not bolt in (I would actually run away from one of that vintage). SOHC typically has that molded into the top of the intake.

The 5.0 will go in if you swap the transmission and AWD transfer case with it. You'll have to splice some wires and some other stuff, plus use the wiring and computer from the Explorer.

I don't remember offhand what the VIN codes are

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

clb4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the help!

clb4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
You would need an OHV 4.0 to have it bolt in. That would be the same motor as what you have.

The SOHC 4.0 will not bolt in (I would actually run away from one of that vintage). SOHC typically has that molded into the top of the intake.

The 5.0 will go in if you swap the transmission and AWD transfer case with it. You'll have to splice some wires and some other stuff, plus use the wiring and computer from the Explorer.

I don't remember offhand what the VIN codes are
would any ohv v6 from 1990 or newer explorer or ranger work with no modification?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You might have to swap things like intakes, exhaust manifolds, and senors, but yes, they are largely the same beyond that. I would stick to a 95+ in your case, because the heads and pistons are a bit different.

Also, if you get an engine from something with independent front suspension, instead of TTB, you may need to swap the mounting plates.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might have to swap things like intakes, exhaust manifolds, and senors, but yes, they are largely the same beyond that. I would stick to a 95+ in your case, because the heads and pistons are a bit different.

Also, if you get an engine from something with independent front suspension, instead of TTB, you may need to swap the mounting plates.
i put a 1996 in my 1994, had to swap the intake, and drivers side manifold, thermostat housing and mounting plates. oddly the 4.0 came out of a explorer, and i didnt have to swap oil pans for the ttb like i read i would have to.

im pretty sure that you cant put a early year 4.0 into a later year truck. i seem to remember that the later year blocks have the additional holes drilled and tapped for the earlyer mounts, but not the other way around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals